Where can I get new clear windscreen ?

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Jeffmk2
fill in the right answer: 15

Where can I get new clear windscreen ?

Post by Jeffmk2 »

I'm looking for a supplier for a new clear windscreen for my 92 Scirocco.
Insurance approved supplier can't source and has ordered one to be made with a 2-3, more likely 6-8 month lead time

Hoping to find one they can then fit

Can the great VW community help?

GT_II

Re: Where can I get new clear windscreen ?

Post by GT_II »

https://www.pilkington.com/en-gb/uk/aut ... volkswagen

Pilkington make them, but whether they are stock items or made to order I don't know. Their database lists several variants for the Mk2 Scirocco,, so I am sure one if the options would be clear laminated. Failing that, there are a few Mk2s breaking on ebay, but I guess you might need to pay someone to remove a used windscreen.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

I'm no glass expert, but removal is very easy. With two people its a breeze. Its getting someone to install one properly these days is the issue.

Jeffmk2

Post by Jeffmk2 »

Thanks for the info, will check it out to see if they can supply.
I'd go for a good quality eBay screen if they don't get sorted in the 2-3 months...
Cheers

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

PM'd

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

Jeffmk2

Post by Jeffmk2 »

Update on my screen as I learnt something I thought you may find interesting.. if only I knew in March!

What I thought was a clear screen on my 92 scala turns out is actually green. Very subtle but the installer (35 years experience) knew it would be before he turned up. He immediately spotted the window vent (not a quarter light as it's part of the door, he explained that too) was incorrectly replaced with clear at some point too.

So, I've waited 6 months for a XXX custom made screen when it should have had the green one in stock back in March..

If you want to check your colour, wind the window down a little a hold some white paper behind, you'll see any difference.

Shout out to Kenny from Auto Windscreens, lives near Colchester. If you need a screen and live in the area then he's your man

Best thing is, no more water into the passenger side. The sealant had gone hard and cracked. Small area of rust and in came the water.

Live and learn

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

If you look at the brand stamp in the corner of the window it will say TINTED if itsis and otherwise nothing.

Jeffmk2

Post by Jeffmk2 »

Thanks for the extra information

It was a long wait for the wrong screen, but it's great to be able to see clearly with out the small scratches, chips and chip repairs. Driving towards the sun is much less risky now!