Indicators issue

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Ows1.8t
fill in the right answer: 15

Indicators issue

Post by Ows1.8t »

Evening everybody, i have a mk2 scirocco thats been striped out for street legal track car, if build my own dash etc,

Issue i have is the green light for indicator is wired to an led on dash, from the original loom, but now when i put the ignition on the light cones on constantly , then when i put the hazards on it flashes as it should, same with the indicators,

Any ideas what could be causing this light to stay on, iv tried a new hazard switch and the relays new , its a three pin relay, i presume this is correct,

Also, i have taken the signal wires from the original cluster ( which was toast!) for oil/water and battery warnings which originally worked , to led bulbs and these also do not come on when ignition is turned on,

Main beam warning works as it should

Any ideas

GT_II

Re: Indicators issue

Post by GT_II »

Tell us about the history of the fault. Did the fault occur after you changed something, or did it just suddenly happen after everything was working fine?

The indicator led on the dash, is that the original led in the instrument cluster?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

Hi, issue has started now iv put everything back in to the car, but it has been about 6 months since i pulled everything out, they weee working with the original clocks, now they are runing to aftermarket led lights
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

Also, i have 3.4 ish volts at the led when hazards and indicators ar off

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Have you done away with the original instrument cluster completely? If so, in addition to making sure you've correctly connected all the wires from the old multi-way connectors (looks to be about 12 wires?), you'd have to recreate some of the internal wiring of the instrument binnacle in order to complete the warning lamp circuits. I'm guessing this last point is where the problem might lie.

Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

Yes i have compleatly discarded the old cluster, (the were in poor condition anyway) seems like its not as simple as taking the wire from the original conector to the aftermarket led, disapointing, , i shuld have checked this first, but i haaaate wiring , so much

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Do you have the Haynes manual? If you check the wiring diagram, you will see that one end of the indicator warning light is connected to Terminal 7 of Connector 7 (shown as a blue/red wire in the diagram, but could potentially have changed). The other end is connected via the internal circuit of the binnacle to Terminal 7 of Connector 7c (shown as a black wire in the diagram, but could potentially have changed). If you connect your indicator warning lamp to these two terminals, it will hopefully operate as it should.

Ows1.8t

Post by Ows1.8t »

Brilliant thanks, ill have a look tonight and see and try your idea, thanks

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by james butler »

i had a similar issue with a mk2 golf which turned out to be a straight to earth short in one of the light fittings for the indicators
but would only do it when the stalk was used but would work fine on hazzards

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!