Chinese Carburettor

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
LeakySunroof
fill in the right answer: 15

Chinese Carburettor

Post by LeakySunroof »

Currently on my third used Pierburg 2e2, none have been any good. Auto engineer across the road who races old Morris cars suggests Chinese components will be alright, even if doesn't last long.

Thoughts?

chopperoli

Re: Chinese Carburettor

Post by chopperoli »

Which Chinese carb do you mean?

Weber DMTL's are now Spanish made, unless you can find an old Italian made DMTR which are superior.

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by the edmundator »

Gower and Lee can get all the relevant parts to maintain your Pierberg. http://www.gowerlee.dircon.co.uk

If you’re keen to replace altogether with a Weber 32/34 DMTL (it’s easier to maintain but it won’t give you any more power or fuel efficiency) then these are readily available new and used.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
LeakySunroof

Post by LeakySunroof »

Brill, lots to digest. Thanks

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

I wouldn't trust any chinese knock off parts.

They are awful from personal experience unless its a really easy part too hard for them to screw up.

As a toolmaker/ aero engineer by trade i would like to think i have a good nose for spotting poorly manufactured parts.

Mick

rattyscala

Post by rattyscala »

Just to say, Ive just had a good experience with a 38dgas. minor issue with butterfly not sealing on throttle but easy to sort out... and about £300 cheaper than a real deal weber... a lot of 'genuine' webers were poorly made. I would say that it seems to be made out of a different alloy mix.. so as your guy says... most likely will work well but might not last another 20 yrs ;)

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

If I were you i'd ether replace with a weber, or buy a rebuild kit - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk1-Mk2-Golf ... ctupt=true

I wouldn't get the chinese one, the castings are always rough

- David
james butler

Post by james butler »

definitely a vote for the Weber however the only Achilles heel with the Weber is dirt ingress blocking the jets and the throttle spindle bushes wear really fast giving odd issues but easily fixed.
you might be allright with a chinese carb, the castings can be poor but i have had good stuff from china before.
i think it depends on the level of tunability, repeatability and reliability.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
LeakySunroof

Post by LeakySunroof »

I ended up plumping for a new Weber. Many thanks for advice and anecdotes.

kyliowhite12

Post by kyliowhite12 »

Hi there, I have the Weber 32/34 carburettor for my 1.8 mk2 and was wondering if anybody had a link to a service kit they've used before that fitted properly?

I've bought one in the past but it didn't fit exact in the end.

Thanks, Kai.

WreckTangle

Post by WreckTangle »

I found the Weber fitted by a previous owner of my 1.8EX to troublesome. I also didn't like the manual choke; although it was quirkily retro it seemed an anachronism on a car made at the pinnacle of carburettor technology. I therefore refurbished a Pierburg 2e2 and have been using it happily since.

Once you get your head around it, the Pierburg is easy to strip down, adjust and maintain. The only truly problematic part is the 3/4 point unit, aka 'throttle plate actuator'. These are usually leaky and don't hold a vacuum on old, secondhand units. Brand new replacements are hard to source and cost more than a new complete Weber.

So basically, if amongst your collection of secondhand Pierburgs you have one with a working 3 point unit then you have potential to build a good working carburettor from the parts you have. If you don't then you might want to consider other options.

I have been mulling for sometime whether it is possible to get the 3 point units repaired either commercially or DIY. Their technology is similar to a vacuum advance unit and there are places that refurbish those. I've never followed this up though.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Service kit I used but mine was on a 1.6 Mk1 , I did call them to check it was the right kit and they were very helpful so worth a phone call/email to check.

https://fastroadcars.co.uk/store/index. ... uct_id=325

Or they sell on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361073073190 ... R-yb6fLDYg

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323