Starts, immediately dies - Resolved (Hopefully)

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
K15NWP
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Starts, immediately dies

Post by K15NWP »

10th character? An M - so a 1991 then?
First registered 29/08/1992

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Daily 2023 Volvo S60 T8 Ultimate
Others like Yugo Cabriolet, Land Rover Series 1 & 3, Lotus 7 and more.
Membership No.1766
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Yes, 1991 model year. so manufactured between autumn 1990 and summer 1991 (from the mid-60s, VW model years started after the summer factory shutdown, when any changes to tooling etc were typically made). More recently, I think VW model year changes are more fluid and tend to happen a bit earlier in the year - a bit like the August edition of What Car? magazine arriving on the newsagent's shelves in early July.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

1151 I think, so probably’90 which would make sense as almost everything with a stamp on it has 1990.
Struggling to recall what I was doing in 1990 now! But I do have a few copies of What Car from that year! Hah!

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
K15NWP

Post by K15NWP »

Good afternoon.

Now, of course, I ought to have checked this better before ripping into the K-jet system etc., and of course it all looks pretty obvious :-D

Lift Pump - I had checked only as far as to confirm power had been going to pump, and the main pump can be easily heard.

So tried to test the flow from the lift pump, nothing, starting from the fuel and stepping through from the beginning - yes hindsight is a marvellous thing!

I have run into a few questions, I have ordered a new Pierburg to replace the lift pump, which is shot!

1. Is there a method, or easy way to check the condition of the filler pipe please?

2. Anyone know what this part is? (Images below)
a) can it be replaced with just pipe, does it need these vents?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n9ot5t14sHg9NvLq6

I've cleaned-up the part so I can look to JB marine weld it (maybe):-
https://photos.app.goo.gl/HgA6eqhP5p6yXahC6

I am guessing that these chaps are still unobtainium?
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cD3ch12o3TTstJCA9

For those of a nervous disposition, yes, this does look like it has been there for the last 32 years!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/e6U1GTxGcJaxuRJX9

Thank you in advance :-)

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
K15NWP

Re: Starts, immediately dies - Resolved (Hopefully)

Post by K15NWP »

After stripping and servicing the K-Jet and WUR - still no joy - so went back to the start.

Swapped the relays so that the pumps ran constantly, and there was nothing from the lift pump! OK, one new Pierburg and some straight pipe instead of the 'silencer for vibration', a little bit of cranking later, fuel from the filter! Ah yes, forgot to tighten that up during investigation phase :-D

I could have sworn I had heard it before, the rear seat has been off for the whole investigation, and I know I tested for power. Hmmm, not sure. Well, all good learning!

I did pop my endoscope into the tank, as well as a good bright light to have a poke about, not much in the way of rust there or flakes, but will find a good strong magnet to collect the odd bit of metal-rich rust that might still be attracted :chortle:

It fires, ran nicely, very smooth, got up to temperature, and still started when hot and allowed to cool - not taking anything for granted, so will check again when I am back in my barn next weekend.

------

A huge thank you for the contributions to this thread, and for the learning opportunity I got from stripping down the k-jet system.

So, what's next? Cambelt time! Gates kit ordered, new Gates Aux belt, full service (will try and find some Quantum oil as there's no VW dealer near me), near rear brake flexis and then for an MOT.

This 88,000 mile car has had 3 cambelts already, I have done 2 of them, but I have also done fewer than 800 miles since the last one in 2015 - something I need to remedy!

Ah yes, pop a VW Gamma radio/cassette player in to replace the Panasonic CD player I put in around '06; all for that authentic look - assuming it works!

‘92 Scala - Alpine White
Membership No.1766
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Starts, immediately dies - Resolved (Hopefully)

Post by mark1gls »

Yeah… it’s alive, well done on getting it going and at least now you know how the fuel injection system works.:-D

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323