OEM Paint Supplier to VW

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow

OEM Paint Supplier to VW

Post by hiltow »

Just wondering if anyone knows who the manufacturer of the body paint / basecoat was (or was likely to be) that Volkswagen (Karmann) used at the factory in the 1980s when the Mk2s were being built?

I know they might have used different suppliers (e.g DuPont) of the solvent based paints that were used, but wondering if there was more likely to be from one manufacturer (possibly a German manufacturer)?

Asking the question prior to a paintwork repair, as I'd rather source the base coat from them so as to get the best chance of the metallic flake being the same.

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: OEM Paint Supplier to VW

Post by essextom »

i wouldnt worry too much, the paints wouldve changed a fair amount from back then anyway. getting the best match is the skill of the person mixing it and choosing the correct variant of the paint to start with.