Still leaking

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
smudger28
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Still leaking

Post by smudger28 »

GT_II wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:16 pm If it's a significant amount of water, I still think the plenum chamber is the likely culprit, as it is effectively the storm drain for the front half of the car. Have you checked water is not running through the heater fan housing, eg due to a crack in the rain tray or due to missing or failed rubber bushes around the fixing screws?

From the dreadnought customs video, it looks like any seepage past the windscreen seal should drain through to the plenum chamber via drain holes under the seal at either end of the scuttle panel, although I guess hidden rust in this area could cause a leak.
I'll have another go at clearing out the Plenum chambers.

I took the rain tray out yesterday after it rained and it was bone dry around the heat fan housing. Speaking of the heater fan housing, it looks like the previous owner has sealed around it with RTV. That all looks good including the 4 fixing screws.

The lad has now taken out all the soundproofing in preparation for a new. At least now we a have a small chance to see where it's coming from. I'm leaning towards the main window though.

1986 MK2 Scirocco - GTX - 120k
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

whiteshark wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:29 pm I would go for a new windscreen rubber and take it from there. I had a similar problem and dicked around for donkeys. Ordered new Windscreen rubber from VW classic and eventually after a while, got a guy to install it as most window fitters either refused, as it was too OLD SCHOOL and required work!! Bigger companies were looking silly money even though I was supplying the actual rubber. New window rubber and the leaks stopped. What threw me was that the leak was always behind the front seat and I thought the leak was coming somewhere from the rear. Just remember the age of the car and the age of the rubber.
I will look into a new seal and speak to our local mechanic and see what he says. He is OLD SCHOOL and just recently done the cam belt.

Thank you

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

The screen seals are out of stock with VW Classic. Where else do you guys get your seals from?

Thanks

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The VW part number is 533845121. VW Classic parts in Germany have an aftermarket version in stock - the genuine part no longer available:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.co ... /533845121

You need to factor in delivery, customs and VAT charges on top.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

GT_II wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:40 pm The VW part number is 533845121. VW Classic parts in Germany have an aftermarket version in stock - the genuine part no longer available:

https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.co ... /533845121

You need to factor in delivery, customs and VAT charges on top.
Fantastic, thanks GT.

Jeffmk2

Post by Jeffmk2 »

I too have a leak problem I need to investigate. Thought it had been solved by my mechanic when he fixed the door membrane that had become detached so water coming in rather than down the outside. Maybe it's unstuck again or I'll work through the same list you're trying. Just need to spend some time with the hose pipe and experiment

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

Ok found the leak! It’s leaking from behind a cable behind the pedals. It’s actually leaking from the metal plate by the looks of it. Anyone have any ideas where the water should be running or do we have a hole in the engine bulkhead?

https://youtube.com/shorts/vVSWt4A3-_w?feature=share

Thank you

Paul

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Is that the clutch cable entry point?

Where did the water in the picture come from - bucket of water maybe, rain, or from a coolant leak?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

With both my Mk1 Scirocco and Mk1 Golf the scuttle panel stops any water getting near the clutch cable or any where along the bulk head, there is 2 drainage holes each end which direct the water away… not sure on a Mk2 but how is the water getting there? Any holes or cracks or has some removed the scuttle panel?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

GT_II wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 3:46 pm Is that the clutch cable entry point?

Where did the water in the picture come from - bucket of water maybe, rain, or from a coolant leak?
Yes it’s the entry point. It was raining quite heavy when the boy spotted the drip. Spent this afternoon trying to recreate th Ed leak.. the only time it leaked was the first time I blasted the drivers side plenum chamber. After that we can’t find a leak. Might’ve cleared out the plenum chamber but only time will tell!

smudger28

Post by smudger28 »

mark1gls wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 9:52 pm With both my Mk1 Scirocco and Mk1 Golf the scuttle panel stops any water getting near the clutch cable or any where along the bulk head, there is 2 drainage holes each end which direct the water away… not sure on a Mk2 but how is the water getting there? Any holes or cracks or has some removed the scuttle panel?
Scuttle panel appears to be doing its job!