1.6 Carb still not quite right…

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
philipayton
fill in the right answer: 15

1.6 Carb still not quite right…

Post by philipayton »

It’s an 82 1.6GL with Pierburg 2B5.
Symptom is at low revs it is a little hesitant - not as smooth as I would hope. Starts fine. Accelerates well.
I’ve changed plugs leads and dizzy cap. Coil resistance is correct. I’ve fixed the vacuum circuit. I’ve played with the timing and it is set at best position. Mixture seems ok based on plug colour. I’ve changed the fuel lines from tank to engine. Fuel filter changed and clean. Tank seems fine - filter behind drivers seat is clean. I’ve used additive in 99 octane fuel.

So I’ve only got the carb left I think. I’ve cleaned the jets I can access on the top of the carb. Knowing how complicated these carbs are I’ve gone no further. I’m wondering if it’s a jet inside the body of the carb.

Any ideas?

Thanks

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.6 Carb still not quite right…

Post by james butler »

apparently these guys are good
https://sites.google.com/site/pierburgc ... rburettors
might be something simple these guys could point you in the right direction

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Get the CO levels checked at a garage or if your MOT is due soon they should give you the read out on a bit of paper when it done.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Thanks for suggestions. I’m also wondering if timing belt is a tooth out? If I set distributor timing as per the book it doesn’t run well. I’ve had to set it where it feels the sweetest which is not close to TDC. As above it starts ok and seems to accelerate ok - it’s the bit in the middle that’s not quite right.

When I got the car the vacuum circuit was all wrong so it wouldn’t surprise me if the belt hasn’t been done properly.

A job for when it warms up and I can feel through my fingers in the garage!

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes worth checking the cam belt before messing to much with the mixture etc.

Membership No. 323
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

So the cam and crank were aligned properly but the intermediate shaft was a couple of teeth out. Dizzy was previously adjusted to correct for the misalignment - now back where it should be.it started well and ran fine in the garage - just need an improvement in the weather now to road test.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Excellent news and fingers crossed for you.

You can advance the timing a little over the setting in the book to help performance but listen out for engine “pinking” under load and retard if needed.

Membership No. 323
philipayton

Post by philipayton »

Just road tested it and it's running lovely. After all the trials and tribulations! At least everything is done - other than the carb which seems to be ok. Now onto the last job - dashboard lights. There maybe another post in that section to follow.