Alternator part number.

Discussion relating to the IROC concept and Scirocco 2008 onwards
stevie102
fill in the right answer: 15

Alternator part number.

Post by stevie102 »

Hi all.

New member here and have a question about the alternator - the battery is draining every two days and diagnosis shows the alternator is faulty. I got some prices from VW around the £550 mark, which it out of my range.

I have a 2012 2.0 tdi bluemotion with stop/start - would any one have an OEM part number I could use to search for an alternative?

Many thanks,

Steve

GT_II

Re: Alternator part number.

Post by GT_II »

Hi Steve, there are 5 different alternators listed for 2012 Sciroccos with stop-start, depending on engine code and manufacture date. I would think it's best to get the part number from the dealer based on your reg no or VIN and work from there. Alternatively, parts suppliers should have access to databases showing compatible parts based on the VRM or VIN.

However, are you sure you need the alternator complete, not just the voltage regulator, which appears at least on some versions to come complete with new brush assembly?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
stevie102

Post by stevie102 »

Thanks for the info'. The dealer wouldn't give the OEM number so I tried TPS and they were unwilling to supply the number either.

The auto-electrician is convinced that it's the wrong alternator, not just the regulator that's faulty. I've used him before and never had a problem with his diagnoses.

It takes approx' two days to run the battery down and and as the car was driven almost daily I didn't notice the problem until recently.

I've got a contact who may be able to get one but he's away for a couple of weeks so I'm just trying to get ahead of the game with regard to getting on with the replacement.

Thanks again,

Steve

Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

Get the part number of the original one and Google wil tell you which one you need.

Joost

stevie102

Post by stevie102 »

Unfortunately the original one was replaced before I got the car and the 'wrong' one that was fitted is allowing the battery to discharge.

As I need the car daily I've had to get one from VW just to be sure it's correct.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Steve

P.S. I'll try to remember to post the VW part number here before I fit it !!

stevie102

Post by stevie102 »

The numbers on the alternator are:

03L 903 023
0 124 525 187 05S
BR14-C-L
F OOM 144 197

I'm pretty sure the top one is the actual part number as it's below the bar code.

Steve