Removing Rear Wheelarch Bodykit Piece

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
hiltow

Removing Rear Wheelarch Bodykit Piece

Post by hiltow »

My o/s rear wheel arch body kit piece needs to come off to do a paintwork repair to the rear wing. It's the plain black, unpainted type body kit.

I know that these are stuck on with a type of Tigers ealing black rubberised sealant. Does anyone have any experience of removing this piece if trim and how best to do it without damaging the spat itself or the bodywork. How long does the process take?

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Removing Rear Wheelarch Bodykit Piece

Post by essextom »

ive taken a few off. be careful as you can bend them. i normally unscrew and then try peeling from one end to see how strongly bonded on they are. if really stuck i use a plastic/ metal ruler to try and cut the sealent. it can be a bugger but some come off pretty easily.

Funkyoid
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Funkyoid »

What type of sealant should I ideally use to stick them back on? I took mine off for repair and no idea what to use.

Thanks.

Love all things VW. My fleet is:
1981 VW T25 Doka Pickup 2.0l Aircooled
1981 VW T25 Devon Campervan 2.0l Auto Aircooled
1990 VW 53b Scirocco GT2 1.8 :pilot:
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The official VW service manual specifies polyurethane adhesive sealant, VW part no AKD476KD505, but I am sure there are alternative products available.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Depending on what year your car they might not be stuck on, early cars with the body kit don’t seem to be stuck on as that’s the case with my brothers Mk2 Storm.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GT_II

Post by GT_II »

The VW workshop manual for Mk2 Scirocco bodywork (July 1985 edition) shows the wheel arch sections are glued behind their entire upper edge. The strips attached at the bottom edge of the doors are fixed entirely with glue. But everything else - ie covers for the front and rear valences and sills - are screwed only. The Haynes manual includes an exact copy of the picture with this information from the VW manual.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k