1.6 carb won’t idle all of a sudden

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
philipayton
fill in the right answer: 15

1.6 carb won’t idle all of a sudden

Post by philipayton »

It’s a 1.6 FR engine with 2B5 Pierburg.

Car was running ok but still a bit lumpy and jittery at low speed. At one point while idling it just stopped. After a couple of tries it started and idled fine.

I assumed it was dirty jets so have bitten the bullet and changed the fuel pipes. Filter at tank was clean.

Went for a couple of runs afterwards and all fine.

Today it wouldn’t idle - would just stall as I slowed. Then just before I got home it recovered and was fine again.

Tonight I’ve checked and cleaned all the jets at the top of the carb. It’s ok with choke on but idle is lower than normal. As soon as choke goes off it won’t idle.

I’m now wondering if it’s something electric? Coil secondary resistance was in range but primary resistance was a little too high (0.9 transistorised system) so am now wondering if coil is breaking down and could cause these symptoms?

Any help appreciated

philipayton
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1.6 carb won’t idle all of a sudden

Post by philipayton »

I think I’ve sorted it - although can’t be sure with an intermittent fault. There was a poor earth connection from the carb - would explain intermittent nature. Replaced it now running fine again. For now 🤞🏽

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 1.6 carb won’t idle all of a sudden

Post by mark1gls »

Fingers crossed…. Most intermittent faults are usually electrical

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323