Door hinges

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
derek
fill in the right answer: 15

Door hinges

Post by derek »

Hi I've been searching everywhere to find out how to replace door hinge pins.
Some suggest drifting but there's no direct access, also there seems to be the opinion that the welded hinge side will distort with too much hammering.
Some method of pressing using something like a ball joint breaker might work but there's not much room to manoeuvre, all in all a bit of a pig, any suggestions would be welcome. Whilst it's possible to shim the hinges to realign the door my problem is the door rattles on our wonderful "smooth" Irish roads, a temporary cure is a bit of foam between the door and the dash but it would be nice to sort it properly.
All the best Derek.

essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Door hinges

Post by essextom »

have a look at how the classic vw beetles remove theirs, they use some kinda press/ tool which might work.

DannyH
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Door hinges

Post by DannyH »

you can put a washer behind the the hinge which may tighten it up and raise it?

undo a bolt slip the washer in.

you might have to experiment as i can't remember exactly?

Danny