Info On a 1.8T (Golf Mk4 GTI) swap

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
Luke_Scala2
fill in the right answer: 15

Info On a 1.8T (Golf Mk4 GTI) swap

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Hello Guys and Girls.

Unfortunately, the engine in my '91 Scala 1.8i has just seized (suspected bottom end) and it could be time for a new engine. the engine had just been re-built (not by me) and was in the stage of running in as it went. If the damage is fairly severe (It most probably will be) it could mean either sourcing a replacement, or something new...
It's been at the back of my mind to engine swap it at some point anyway, so this might be time too. I'm not really one for "keeping it original", sorry.

My question is other than the obvious (Engine, loom, gearbox etc) what are the hidden bits ill need to complete the swap. In the research ive done, the 1.8t will bolt up to my current gearbox, and one side engine mount will also line up but the other will need modifying. just thought id reach out on here to any of you who have done it and can give some tips/tricks. Also any idea of budget/secret costs that can slip under the radar.

Everything off the old engine will be available once the swap/repair is in full swing. its the 1.8i, the injection system is a peach and has always run absolutely faultlessly, the head had just been rebuilt and shaved, if undamaged, it will be available too. Plus all the auxiliary parts (it had a brand new water pump/starter motor and other bits so will hand them on dead cheap to those in need)

Any help will be massively appreciated! Stay safe x

Jack92
Site Admin

Re: Info On a 1.8T (Golf Mk4 GTI) swap

Post by Jack92 »

Loads of people will be able to help you I’m sure (unfortuanlty I’m not one haha) but I know Thomas from Dreadnought customs has done one and is always happy to help, as well as a few other guys on the Facebook page.

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
essextom
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by essextom »

Hi, ive done a 1.8t swap.
Before you start work out how much budget you have and how much of the work you can do yourself. if your not mechanically or electrically competent the costs will go up.
Do you want anything more than 200bhp? if so pay the extra and buy a bam code 225bhp engine from a tt or cupra r, its a litttle more to buy but will save you a fair amount in the future, also the install is a bit easier.

gearbox- dont bother with your one, use the donor one, its geared for the engine and will take the power.

things youll need to get or sort-

engine-
mounts (youll need a mount kit, originals wont work
intercooler and pipe work
modified engine loom
de immobilised ecu
some pipework for radiator
slimline rad fan
depending on donor engine you'll need to fit the drive by wire accelerator pedal
exhaust system, minimum 2.5" and a downpipe, this is where the Bam K04 conversion is a lot easier due to steering rack clearence

gearbox-
gear linkages ( i fitted the donor car cables and shifter under the car)
mounts (will come with mount kit for engine)
you'll probably have the correct driveshafts but may need the gearbox input cups

brakes-
def need to upgrade to miniumum 256mm front but id suggest g6o 280mm set up with larger master cylinder and brake servo

thats about it, its not a terribly hard mod if you know your way around a spanner.

Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Jack92 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:44 pm Loads of people will be able to help you I’m sure (unfortuanlty I’m not one haha) but I know Thomas from Dreadnought customs has done one and is always happy to help, as well as a few other guys on the Facebook page.
Last edited by Luke_Scala2 on Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

essextom wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:27 am Hi, ive done a 1.8t swap.
Before you start work out how much budget you have and how much of the work you can do yourself. if your not mechanically or electrically competent the costs will go up.
Do you want anything more than 200bhp? if so pay the extra and buy a bam code 225bhp engine from a tt or cupra r, its a litttle more to buy but will save you a fair amount in the future, also the install is a bit easier.

gearbox- dont bother with your one, use the donor one, its geared for the engine and will take the power.

things youll need to get or sort-

engine-
mounts (youll need a mount kit, originals wont work
intercooler and pipe work
modified engine loom
de immobilised ecu
some pipework for radiator
slimline rad fan
depending on donor engine you'll need to fit the drive by wire accelerator pedal
exhaust system, minimum 2.5" and a downpipe, this is where the Bam K04 conversion is a lot easier due to steering rack clearence

gearbox-
gear linkages ( i fitted the donor car cables and shifter under the car)
mounts (will come with mount kit for engine)
you'll probably have the correct driveshafts but may need the gearbox input cups

brakes-
def need to upgrade to miniumum 256mm front but id suggest g6o 280mm set up with larger master cylinder and brake servo

thats about it, its not a terribly hard mod if you know your way around a spanner.
Perfect thank you very much fella!! couldn't have asked for a better response. Im not looking to go for crazy power, for the foreseeable future it will, unfortunately/fortunately be my daily and for the sake of the roads where I live the stock power was more than enough fun! Brakes wise (something im very conscious of, and willing to spend the extra to get as much stopping power as needed) would the callipers/discs come off the donor car too? or would that require the hubs changing?
And am I right in saying that you need driveshafts from an early Golf cab to use the donor gearbox??

Rocco2

Post by Rocco2 »

To keep it simple use a donor engine with regular gas pedal, not this electronic fancy pancy :D
1.8t AGU is the engine code for that.
I used it for the swap.
Mine is 224hp, used k03s turbo.

All the mounts for the engine and gearbox are off the shelf from Epytec.de
Intercooler from a Mercedes Sprinter works like a charm.
Radiator I used from a Skoda Fabia ( cant remember which one exactly) but all the pipes hooked just right :D and added two slim fans.
For air filter works really well Honda S2000 OEM filter :D
And from the donor use also the gearbox and shifter, 02A or 02J are quite easy to fit into the Rocco.
02A can be used with cable clutch (needs a thingy), 02J need converting to hydro.
Check all the shifter and cable bushings before install, easier to change before install :D

Then just find someone who can convert the wire looms and couple of weekends of garage funtime.

Rocco goes turbo
essextom

Post by essextom »

you cant use the donor brakes, best off finding a 256 setup or g60 setup.
your drive shafts might be correct, depends on your cars age, not sure when change over from 90/100mm was

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

1991 fuel injection Scirocco should have 100mm drive shaft flanges.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Luke_Scala2

Post by Luke_Scala2 »

Thanks very much for all this gents. Will keep this thread updated with what I do. waiting to hear on the condition of the block.

Hyde

Post by Hyde »

I've seen a couple people say "Modified engine loom" or talking about converting the wiring looms. Does anyone know what this involves? what exactly is needed from the golf to be put on the Scirocco and what isn't needed? I'm not too familiar with the engine. For example does the ABS need to be transferred over to the scirocco to stop any fault codes popping up etc?
Any info would be much appreciated

Hyde