Water temperature guage sensor

Forum rules, sign up, posting pics, classifieds
Forum rules
Please can everybody add a town/city location at this point in your profile? Makes life much easier if you start listing parts wanted or for sale.........cheers
Scooter50
fill in the right answer: 15

Water temperature guage sensor

Post by Scooter50 »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help I have just changed the water temp guage sensor on my mk2 1985 scirocco,took it for a test drive the guage rose quickly to well over half way a lot higher than it ever has,I quickly headed for home turned off opened the bonnet noticed the bottom rad hose wasn’t very hot and the fan didn’t seem to cut in any ideas much appreciated.
Thanks

kidcrewbob

Re: Water temperature guage sensor

Post by kidcrewbob »

Stuck thermostat I would say was the first thing to look at - nice and cheap / easy job.

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

Don't panic I would say. It is normal for the needle to settle right of centre on a warm day. It's not calibrated like on a modern car, where the needle settles bang on 90 deg C most of the time. Only if it moves far to the right and the red light flashes should you worry (though check the led is working when you first switch on the ignition). The thermostat doesn't open until 87 deg C and the fan comes on around 95 deg C, so the engine is meant to run very hot.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

Due to my temp gauge not working I fitted an aftermarket gauge and it runs around 95.

Mark H

Post by Mark H »

Stupid question, how did you connect and wire the gauge? What gauge did you use ? Where is it mounted ?

Cheers Mark

Mark

Alpine White
VW Scirocco GT2 (1991)
Membership Number 1296
Eagle1

Post by Eagle1 »

It's mounted in the centre console. The wiring is totally independent of the original loom following the instructions that came with it.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Check the engine ground from the rocker cover to the bulkhead. Not having this connected, or solid will cause the gauge to read higher as there is effectively more resistance to ground.

- David