HELP rocco wont start and need it ASAP

Carbs; K-jet; Tanks; Lines; Filler necks, Senders; aftermarket fuel systems; Exhausts and Manifolds;air filters - standard and aftermarket
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

HELP rocco wont start and need it ASAP

Post by scirocco_ne »

Have to say this car... What a total german douche. It just tests you every chance it gets to the point its setting records for how awkward jobs are that are supposed to be simple.

Had a fuel line leak yesterday so did them all today.

Then i thought ahhh ill do the dizzy and arm too before timing tomorrow . Fitted new ones and cranked it over lots before starting to make sure it had fuel.... Flooded behaviour ensues. Ive never had it refuse totally when flooded. At one point it made a huge bang and shot black crap out the carb.

I thought is it ignition related so back traced all my work and added the original duff arm and cap. Of course the new arm locating keyway broke off on removal and fell in the dizzy hole... Yey

Dizzy off, full strip and clean.. All looks ok

So now the car is back to how it was originally and does nothing but backfire out the carb and won't start. Im totally head fooked with it now.

I thought Cars flooded eventually started but all its done is violently pop or send black crap out the carb and turn and turn since.

Any ideas as i am stumped? Plugs are wet after a go at starting but it just doesnt seem to want to go. It gets closest with foot flat and full choke but still no go.

I need the car tomorrow so im gutted it done this from such a simple job, it could well of caught fire yesterday when the line blew and im so sick of it i would of been happy to find another non cursed rocco instead haha

Mick

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: HELP rocco wont start and need it ASAP

Post by blakey »

If you replaced the cap, double check you have the leads fitted in the correct position and order. 1,3,4,2 with no.1 at the notch on the dizzy body top rim (under cap).

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

blakey wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:25 pm If you replaced the cap, double check you have the leads fitted in the correct position and order. 1,3,4,2 with no.1 at the notch on the dizzy body top rim (under cap).

Is that if your looking over it from above

Top left 1 Top right 3

Bottom left 4
Bottom right 2

Id be really surprised if id mixed them as i labelled them first but it does seem to not want to go like timing is out

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

How it is now
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blakey

Post by blakey »

It does look right, is it the cap the same as the original (terminal type)? Is the carbon springed carbon pin inside the cap there?

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

On the cap as present it seems to go lead wise

Top left 2 top right1

Bottom left 4 bottom right 3

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

blakey wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:10 pm It does look right, is it the cap the same as the original (terminal type)? Is the carbon springed carbon pin inside the cap there?

The original cap and arm are back on bud

It has back on a sagem arm and cap which seems to be the ducelier type to look at so it's what i got.

blakey

Post by blakey »

It may be worth earthing the king lead near the back of block, take out all of the plugs and crank it open with full throttle to clear out all of the fuel in the cylinders.
Then try again, if it still doesn't work, there may be a coincidental fault with the coil or ignition amplifier.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

blakey wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:19 pm It may be worth earthing the king lead near the back of block, take out all of the plugs and crank it open with full throttle to clear out all of the fuel in the cylinders.
Then try again, if it still doesn't work, there may be a coincidental fault with the coil or ignition amplifier.

Ive just had the oscilloscope down this plugs and its wet in there.

I may compression test while im at it to make sure nothing untoward has happend.... The night goes on haha

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

How do i test other items for failure? Im sitting waiting for it to dry out now as it soaking in there.

Strangely no4 is bone dry though.

I really need the car tomorrow evening sadly so will have to get on it early

blakey

Post by blakey »

It didn't look like it, but are you sure the dizzy cap isn't 180 degrees out?

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

blakey wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:14 pm It didn't look like it, but are you sure the dizzy cap isn't 180 degrees out?

Its on exactly as it was before i started when it drove etc...

I am so confused haha. I marked the cap front etc with white pen . Never had this changing a cap in my life

The problems started after i changed the cap and arm, fuel filter and feed lines to pump.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Ill be back on it early tomorrow. Any suggestions anyone has please let me know.

Thanks
Mick

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Check all the HT leads are fully home, I’ve found the rubber dust cover/boot at the end of the leads can work there way down the HT leads and course a bad connection, if you hold the cable on the cover underneath the boot (not the very end or you can pull the end off) you can push the boot back up the cable a little, then fit the lead and push the boot back down.

Take each spark plug out and check you are getting a spark by earthing the spark plug to the engine block (hold the spark plug a couple mm away from the block with insulated pliers and crank the engine)

It does sound like a ignition/timing problem if it’s back firing.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

mark1gls wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:53 pm Check all the HT leads are fully home, I’ve found the rubber dust cover/boot at the end of the leads can work there way down the HT leads and course a bad connection, if you hold the cable on the cover underneath the boot (not the very end or you can pull the end off) you can push the boot back up the cable a little, then fit the lead and push the boot back down.

Take each spark plug out and check you are getting a spark by earthing the spark plug to the engine block (hold the spark plug a couple mm away from the block with insulated pliers and crank the engine)

It does sound like a ignition/timing problem if it’s back firing.
Ill give it all a check tomorrow, the Mrs is on hand ready.

I have left the plugs out overnight to vent the cylinders, they still have residue in there that will hopefully evaporate in the sun tomorrow.

If im honest i am really just hoping it starts in the morning lol