Mk2 1.8 RHD Clutch Cable

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Brenjacques
fill in the right answer: 15

Mk2 1.8 RHD Clutch Cable

Post by Brenjacques »

Hi all,
Can anyone give me the part number for a clutch cable for my Scirocco. It went today and I want to make sure I get the right one, its a 1985 1.8 GTS RHD.

Cheers
Bren

GT_II

Re: Mk2 1.8 RHD Clutch Cable

Post by GT_II »

It seems a bit of a minefield! Does it have the injected or carburettor engine? Is the 10th digit of the VIN (model year) E, F or G?

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

GTS should be a carb.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Yes its on a carb, the10th digit on the vin is an F. My local motor factors have some but I just want to make sure its correct so I don't waste my time fitting one thats not right.

Cheers

GT_II

Post by GT_II »

According to 7zap and OEMEPC, 532721335J is the original part number, length 1490mm, sadly obsolete.

If you search the part number on this forum, you will find previous posts suggesting these may be hard to come by.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Ahhh, the one on it actually doesn't look to be too old. I'll take it off tonight and measure it up. The ones listed at my local are 1660mm but they list them as fitting my car?! I might buy one and see how it goes. It was making a graunchy/chafing sound when pressing the clutch so who knows, maybe it's been bodged up to take a bigger cable or something.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If it was making a noise check the bulk head where the cable goes through as common problem for the bulk head to crack and pull the cable through making a big mess, if you don’t have a strength plate fitted get one ASAP as it’s only a matter of time before it pulls through.

Also check the gearbox end of the cable to make sure the cable is going straight into the gearbox holder.

While the cable is off the car hang it up and pour some 3in1 oil down the cable till it comes out the bottom to lube up the cable.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I got the cable off yesterday, it measures 1660mm. I had a look at what may have caused it but its difficult to see what it was rubbing on. I think it either must have been the end of the cable tubing, a manufacturing problem or maybe the cable is too long and whilst it will work it just doesn't sit correctly. Either way it has been rubbing on something as it has slowly chewed through and snapped on the last few strands. Looking at the condition I'm surprised it didn't stick!

There's already a strength plate fitted to the car and the cable looks to fit comfortably into it, I'll give the new one an oil before fitting. I've also lost the retaining clip from the gearbox arm so I need to buy one before refitting, unless one comes with the cable but I doubt it does.

Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

I've just got both sizes of cable to see what is best. The shorter cable just about reaches the arm on the gearbox. Infact, it will just about pass through the arm but there isn't enough to get the clips on the end. Is it possible to raise the arm a bit and then fit it, I only need say 5mm or so to get the clips on. The adjuster is all the way down too. I know the larger one will fit, but it will need quite a bit of adjustment to tension it up and it isn't as good quality as the shorter one. To me the shorter one looks as if it will fit better if I can get the extra few mm through but the other seems a little too long?

blakey

Post by blakey »

Be careful if you fit the short one, you need a few millimetres play at the pedal. If there's no play or slack on the cable, the clutch may slip and it will shorten the life of the release bearing.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
Brenjacques

Post by Brenjacques »

Thanks for the help, it's all sorted now. Opted for the longer cable which is a perfect fit actually. Found the reason for failure, the strength plate on the bulkhead is a bit off, causing the cable to rub on the metal piping at the end of the outer tubing. New cable is rubbing too but I should get around it okay by removing the pedal and bending the hook over a little more to keep the cable straight to the pedal.

Clutch is also nice and light so that has sorted my heavy clutch problem. Think the bearing could do with replacement as I can feel some vibration through the pedal when driving and releasing the clutch.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Brenjacques wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 pm Thanks for the help, it's all sorted now. Opted for the longer cable which is a perfect fit actually. Found the reason for failure, the strength plate on the bulkhead is a bit off, causing the cable to rub on the metal piping at the end of the outer tubing. New cable is rubbing too but I should get around it okay by removing the pedal and bending the hook over a little more to keep the cable straight to the pedal.

Clutch is also nice and light so that has sorted my heavy clutch problem. Think the bearing could do with replacement as I can feel some vibration through the pedal when driving and releasing the clutch.
Just done my cable too and no bulkhead fowling but it catches the tube end like yours. Im Going to pull the sound matting away and check its not on a road to go for the metal long term.

My rubber fits the bulkhead awful and the metal location area pulled through on load after opening the washer out. Never buying a cable this brand again as its modded just to work.

Luciad64

Post by Luciad64 »

mark1gls wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:06 pm If it was making a noise check the bulk head where the cable goes through as common problem for the bulk head to crack and pull the cable through making a big mess mutuelle entreprise, if you don’t have a strength plate fitted get one ASAP as it’s only a matter of time before it pulls through.

Also check the gearbox end of the cable to make sure the cable is going straight into the gearbox holder.

While the cable is off the car hang it up and pour some 3in1 oil down the cable till it comes out the bottom to lube up the cable.
In any case, it's really cool to have shared information. Thank you so much.