Rear driver side leak

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
NebToast
fill in the right answer: 15

Rear driver side leak

Post by NebToast »

I'm having real trouble fixing a leak on my gt2. The water pools below the rear driver side taillights just under the rear washer bottle.

I've been keeping a sponge there for when it rains, but I've done nearly every seal now and it's still leaky.

I've used bitumen sealing tape on the rear lights and the screws. I've put new seals on the gas strut mounting points. I've used silicone on the badges and replaced the lock seal but it's still pouring in! Only one side however which is most peculiar.

Any ideas?

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Rear driver side leak

Post by blakey »

Rear spoiler mounting points [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by Blueshark »

Rear window seal, sealant has dried out after all these years and now lets water through between the glass and seal.

When you open your rear lid does water come out of the holes in the underside ?.

1 = window
2 = seal
3 = chassis
4 = sealant.

NebToast
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by NebToast »

blakey wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:43 pm Rear spoiler mounting points [emoji106]

Sent from my Moto Z2 Play using Tapatalk
Seems like you were bang on. I put some bitumen sealant around the brackets and that seems to have stopped the leak.