The Rieger has come home!

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: The Rieger has come home!

Post by james butler »

Chaps wrote:Cylinder Head Porting.. these are before and half way done, I don't have any pics to hand of the finished head, but its silky smooth now. will put more on some other time. The cylinder head had already had the throats opened up and 3 angle valve seats cut. I deburred the combustion chamber too and had it skimmed so should work a treat with the Jenveys.

New Radiator and pipework.
i take it after all this work you had the head gasflowed and tested?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

James, Not yet no - I have been looking for places to get it flow tested though.. Need to build the head up first.
I have decided not to go for that buggy, went in the garage again the other night and I don't ever want to sell this car.
I am going to have to build another garage, where I can fit more cars in. then I can just buy more and never sell them.

1991 Wide Arched Rieger Scirocco.....

Good things come to those who wait!!!!
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

yay! keeping the rieger....

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Yeah I would be gutted to sell it having had it for so long and never really driven it.
Had a bit of free time last night so started making my air box for the Jenveys. Considering it's the first pass at it I am quite impressed with how it came out. I think with a bit more work it will be ok to get it running.
I could have just got filter socks but they are crap, sap power and are really thin. Ideally you want a good gap from the edge of the trumpet to the filter, so the air enters the trumpet cleanly as possible. I wanted the longest trumpets for them (120mm) to keep torque band as low as possible and you can't get a rigid air filter which will fit them using a flat baseplate. You can get 50mm deep carbon airbox, which is where I got the idea for mine from but I ideally wanted 80mm to clear the trumpets properly and they arnt cheap. It's not cost me anything really, all stuff I had lying around or had been given.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

few pics and abit of a write up of how i have made the airbox i have been playing with. this is my first go, its a little rough round the edges but i am happy how its turned out.

I started by making a template to form the fibreglass on to, i used 4 x 18mm pieces of MDF, glued them all together then cut them to shape on the bandsaw. its tapered all the way round and i have also planed a slight angle on the base for abit more clearance from the bonnet.

I then wrapped it in some blue film, which is used for bagging carbon fibre up, its good as it is strong and doesnt stick to the fibreglass. i have read you can use release agent for this too but i didnt have any. I screwed the template to a sheet of showerboard which i also wrapped up too. the shower board is very flat which i thought would help create a good finish for where it meets the air filter. I cut out rough shapes of fibreglass cloth matting, and cross strand glass cloth. 2 peices of each were used so far. Mixed up fibreglass resin, and to be fair i put far too much hardener in it, it went off really quickly which was a pain and i think that has affected the finish abit as i couldnt quite get it all bang on flat, especially on the ends of the template.

So layed up the 4 layers and left it overnight. Unscrewed, dewrapped and a with a quick tap with a rubber mallet the wooden template came out.

I think it looks alright, and fits the filter nicely. its about 2-3mm thick at the moment and weighs only 340grams. I am going to put a couple more layers on now its hard, just round the base to thicken it up in a few areas and where there hasnt been enough fibreglass resin but with a spot of filler and some paint it will be ok.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Car is now for sale guys................

see the Classifieds ad section for more info.

Chaps

Post by Chaps »

Still miss this car... has anybody seen it since I sold it on?

C 20 CCO
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by C 20 CCO »

What area of the UK did your car go to? Having read this, I guess your regretting having sold it then?

I’d love to have a Mk2 MR2, but like you it’s one or the other. Me personally, having owned a scirocco for 30 years; would miss it and probably pine to have it back. Ah well, I hope who ever has it will get it back on the road. Obviously not a scirocco register fan yet..... as I haven’t come across any posts.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
Chaps

Post by Chaps »

No not regretting selling it, but do miss owning.
Can't actually remember where it went too but think it's Birmingham area.
More curiourious to see if it's on the road yet, but take it that its not.

C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

You can put the registration number on direct gov check mot website to find out the mot history. Nothing has benn added since 2009, so I guess it’s not on the road yet.

I’ve not been a member of this club that long, just over a year now. Whilst reading your posts I got more and more involved. The many mods and upgrades, the oh so nearly but not quite running yet scenario happened a few times. Turning up on a trailer to shows and a hint of getting to the next show under its own power.
To me reading it from the beginning; it was very powerful and riveting. And then it was gone, I didn’t see that one coming. It was kind of disappointing, more of a shock.

Fingers crossed somebody out there we’ll see this and get in touch.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Chaps wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:03 am No not regretting selling it, but do miss owning.
Can't actually remember where it went too but think it's Birmingham area.
More curiourious to see if it's on the road yet, but take it that its not.
A guy called Tony?