Anyone know there way around a kr 16v engine ??

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
gnrsoul
fill in the right answer: 15

Anyone know there way around a kr 16v engine ??

Post by gnrsoul »

Ok i have a rocco early mk2 that had a 16v kr engine fitted by someone before i bought it.
Now i have always had a bit of bother on cold start but after a few seconds all good, i had car lyed up for winter and was sorting some thing on it.
So i fit new plugs, distributor rotor and cap and re-soilderd few wires the plug in to distributor. Timed up as sat on idle better than is has ever and sounded, ran better too.
Now when driving not sure if its when gets to a certin temp or time running it just cuts out and will not start at all till left for a hour or so, this also hapend on idle once???
Kinda stumped if anyone knows or any thing i should check would be very helpfull

Thanks

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Anyone know there way around a kr 16v engine ??

Post by whiteshark »

I'm not an expert on this, but I do have a KR. Based on my own experiences, this can either be your WUR (warm up regulator) playing up, the bi metallic strip is not working properly, your cold start thermostat is not kicking in, you have a dodgy fifth injector or your 244 relay is playing up. Out of all of the above I would start with the 244 relay and then the WUR. Also have you checked that your coil is not overheating.
My KR would drive all day no bother, unless I switched the engine off. If I stopped and switched the engine off or pulled over and switched the engine off, once started again the idle was erratic and it would stall on idle. After trial and error a new 244 relay made it run like a dream. These relays are very expensive second hand so keep your eyes peeled or watch for anyone breaking a mk2 Golf 16v. But as you state it starts again after a while, sounds like the coil is over heating or you bi metallic strip in the WUR is cooling down letting you start again.

gnrsoul

Post by gnrsoul »

Cheers for the advise man wilk check all was out working on it tonight checking wires etc..
And the coil did come to mind and dose look a bit corroded on conections i have loads of spares as i have bought 2 full kr engines i will check the realy coil and wur i take it thats the big 24mm one on side of head will also check 5th injector altho i thought that was only for cold starting then shuts off???

gnrsoul

Post by gnrsoul »

Sorry whats the 244 realy for???

whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

The 244 relay is a large relay that controls idle and works with your ISV/ ICV idle control valve. It is usually located behind the fusebox and sometimes requires the fusebox to be removed from its bracket to get a hold of it I mentioned the 5th injector as you had stated you had a problem with cold start previously.