Cylinder heads to fit std 8v carbed gt2 and cams

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
scirocco_ne
fill in the right answer: 15

Cylinder heads to fit std 8v carbed gt2 and cams

Post by scirocco_ne »

Well the old girl is a little smokey now on pullaway but has lovely compression so its most likely stems.

I am looking for a new head to overhaul and fit but im not sure which is exactly the same.

Does the mk1 golf injected head match? Which other match?

Also is there other cams i can use that fit as mine at 145k is a little worn on the lobes.

Thanks as always
Mick

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Cylinder heads to fit std 8v carbed gt2 and cams

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 Golf and early Mk2 Golf GTi (K-jet) will fit and have a better cam shaft fitted already and they will give you more go, you will need to block up the fuel injector holes on the back of the head. You need to make sure the heads have hydraulic tappets as I guess that’s what you have already, engine after 1984 ish had hydraulic tappets.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

Where are u based? I’ve got a cylinder head you can have very cheap if you can pick it up from Chelmsford Essex.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

mark1gls wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:23 pm Mk1 Golf and early Mk2 Golf GTi (K-jet) will fit and have a better cam shaft fitted already and they will give you more go, you will need to block up the fuel injector holes on the back of the head. You need to make sure the heads have hydraulic tappets as I guess that’s what you have already, engine after 1984 ish had hydraulic tappets.

Thanks for the info. If i am honest i would like to keep it original and the injection ports are a good point i never considered

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

essextom wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm Where are u based? I’ve got a cylinder head you can have very cheap if you can pick it up from Chelmsford Essex.
Is it a carbed head buddy? I am up North but where there's a will....

essextom

Post by essextom »

scirocco_ne wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:20 pm
essextom wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm Where are u based? I’ve got a cylinder head you can have very cheap if you can pick it up from Chelmsford Essex.
no mate its a dx head mate.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

essextom wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:57 am
scirocco_ne wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:20 pm
no mate its a dx head mate.

Is the injector holes the only difference?

And are the holes easy to blank? Headsets etc identical. If it helps the old girl go little better and i can retain standard looks it may well be. worth it.

Mick

essextom

Post by essextom »

The injector holes can be blanked off using 1p pieces, not sure if the rear heater channel to the inlet manifold is present on the DX heads, ill take a lokk

big_wig_074

Post by big_wig_074 »

no heater channel, block the injector holes with 1p coins and chemical metal or something, nice and easy, you wont see them without really looking.

scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Bit of a thread resurrection :)

What would the impact be on the inlet if the heater channel was missing, carb icing in winter?

Mick