setting igniton timing with weber carb

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Yolandi2
fill in the right answer: 15

setting igniton timing with weber carb

Post by Yolandi2 »

ok guys so ive fitted a twin choke DGAV carb to my 1.8 8v (32/26) using an adapter plate on the base of the carb to go onto the stock manifold,
since then its all ways idled lumpy, ive tried we setting the igniton timing with a light but I get conflicting advice on how exactly to do it, do I plug the vac line then set it or leave the vac line on and set it? it seems to idle better if you set it with the vac line plugged but makes more power with it set attached??

ive left the big vac line from the manifold to the brake booster alone and its currently all plumbed up as standard, I simply took the thin vac line off the peirburg and attached it to the weber, if that makes a difference?

1990 mk2 GT2
unknownmale

Re: setting igniton timing with weber carb

Post by unknownmale »

Not specifically a guide for the DGAV but helpful - http://www.webercarburetors.com/ppw/htm ... _best_.htm

Typically I start out with the mixture screw pretty high and the idle fairly high, play with the timing until it sounds best, then start pulling everything down

- David
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Forget the timing light, advance timing till the car “pinks” under load then retard it a little to stop the “pinking”. Never used a timing light on my car, you need a quite road to drive up and down and if you have a hill to drive up that helps put the car under load.

I think you unplug and block the vac hose going to the dissy if using a timing light as with the hose connected it will adjust the timing with the vacuum as you rev the car.

If you mark where is dissy is before messing with it so you can always move it back to where it was and it gives you an idea of how far you have twisted it.

FYI...Advance timing turn the dissy clockwise and retard is anti clockwise. :good:

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

what sound does pinking make?

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Heard a lot of people say pinking, not sure where it comes from, but pretty sure it's just pinging/ pre detonation but a different word for it.

- David
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323