Red flashing light in water temp gauge

For all electrical questions; Alternators including fitment; Light connections/wiring; Instruments; Gauges; MFA; Heater blower (not coolant related) issues etc etc.
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Red flashing light in water temp gauge

Post by the edmundator »

Am I right in thinking the red light in the water temp gauge also has something to do with the brake fluid level? I seem to remember this from a mk2 Polo I had, so wouldn't be surprised if other VW models followed the same system. Or is it just for low coolant level?

The light on my GTX was flashing from cold (didn't go out after the first few flashes) so water temp was not a problem - and needle only up to the 1/2 way point by the time I finished my journey. A short while later I got back in the car and the light stayed off.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Nate

Re: Red flashing light in water temp gauge

Post by Nate »

Brake fluid level warning is the same as the handbrake light, isn't it?

Does yours have the coolant level sensor fitted?

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3
GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

It'll be sensor related Ed - as in the screw in sensor on coolant bottle could be a little bit loose or the wire is exposed - the mk1 does this occasionally and i've got a mini cable tie around the rubber plug cover to keep it from slipping off........

As long as temp is normal and the coolant level is fine then this will be the area to look at.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Right-o, I must have just been having another senior moment.

Once the exams are (hopefully) out of the way I'll be organising a full service/general mechanical once-over for this one anyway.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
accyimp
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by accyimp »

Similar problem - light flashes then stays ON - 1.6 mk1 gti 1981
Engine runs up to temperature, needle rises steadily as expected and then electric fan kicks in as expected, but the red light is still on.
The header tank/expansion tank (n/s near suspension tower) there is no provision for any electrical connection - although in the area there is a 'redundant' two pin electrical connector (green/yellow and a brown) which is cable tied out of the way.
Any ideas? should there be some sort of sensor on the tank or elsewhere?
Thanks in advance
Andy.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

There is a relay on top of the fuse box as well which controls the light.

More info and help here.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... g-light-in

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
blakey

Post by blakey »

It may be worth bridging the the pins in the plug as a test to see if that puts the light out. It would then suggest the wrong tank has been fitted (without provision for the level sensor). The sensor is effectively bridged by the coolant when at the correct level, if the level drops too low the the two pins are exposed and bring the warning light on.

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
accyimp

Post by accyimp »

blakey wrote:It may be worth bridging the the pins in the plug as a test to see if that puts the light out. It would then suggest the wrong tank has been fitted (without provision for the level sensor). The sensor is effectively bridged by the coolant when at the correct level, if the level drops too low the the two pins are exposed and bring the warning light on.
Tried that - temp needle just goes straight to top of scale when ignition goes on.
Cheers

accyimp

Post by accyimp »

mark1gls wrote:There is a relay on top of the fuse box as well which controls the light.

More info and help here.

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... g-light-in
I'll check that one tomorrow - Thanks.