Black rear Mk2 lights

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
unknownmale
fill in the right answer: 15

Black rear Mk2 lights

Post by unknownmale »

There are a couple of posts about this with some people spraying their lights or using sharpie.

I tried sharpie which doesn't give a nice finish, I was going to paint the lines on, but didn't fancy several hours of masking.

I bought some matt black 3mm pin-striping vinyl instead which I think came out pretty well.

Also painted the plastic with a few coats of satin.

Last edited by unknownmale on Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

- David
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Black rear Mk2 lights

Post by GTXTRA »

Looks good David.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Cheers Sean

- David
moser

Post by moser »

Looks good. That’s how’s i did mine but I think I used a gloss tape. Definitely the neatest way of doing it.

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley
DT1

Post by DT1 »

I have a set of white striped lights that I did that on, give the lights a coat or 2 of lacquer to protect the stripes and stop them lifting when you are cleaning them.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

DT1 wrote:I have a set of white striped lights that I did that on, give the lights a coat or 2 of lacquer to protect the stripes and stop them lifting when you are cleaning them.
I did think about lacquering them, but gave a few passes with a heat gun instead. Will see how it fares.

- David
C 20 CCO

Post by C 20 CCO »

Hi David,

Can I ask where you bought your vinyl tape from, I'm going to repair mine too. Last time I used a paint pen which gave great results but has since faded in the wash! I was also thinking of painting with humbrol enamel satin black modelling paint for long lasting effect.

kind regards,

Dave.

To be old and wise......
You must first be young and stupid!

Previously owned: 1984 1.6 CL in alpine white; 1986 1.6 GT in met light blue over black body kit; 1990 1.8 GT2 in silver.
Currently: 1991 GT2 in Pearl green metallic.