14" Bottlecaps

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
crimmer96
fill in the right answer: 15

14" Bottlecaps

Post by crimmer96 »

Hi all,

Recently I purchased a set of 14" bottle cap alloy wheels in near perfect condition. Very little curbing, just the odd scratch or two from being used for so long. They came with 4 legal tires but I wouldn't trust them on my car as they've cracked and perished somewhat in storage. My question is what would the value of these wheels be? Albeit they do need a good clean. All 4 centre caps are there if that adds to the value at all. I'm unsure if the rarity or unrarity of these wheels so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Chris

Image Image Image

1992 pearl green 1.8 GT2 daily
1983 Mars red 1.8 GTI project
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 14" Bottlecaps

Post by GTXTRA »

As is, £40

Good condition £70-140.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

What you need is a storm owner with the wrong or knacked wheels

essextom

Post by essextom »

Centre caps are worth £30, wheels are worth about £40-60. I've had a set of tatty bottle tops without centre caps for sale for £45 for a few months with no interest.

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Post them up on a polo forum. Might be more interest there as they are non standard

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Not a rare wheel, Mk2 Golf 16v Gti had them fitted as standard, but I think they are getting harder to find in good condition and straight.

There proper name for them is “Montreal”

http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/vw_o ... wheels.htm

I’ve a set on my Mk1 Golf and I like them as they are very easy to clean. :-D

I’m on the lookout for 1 wheel as I hit a pot hole and have a big dent on the inside of one of mine...

You could advertise them on eBay but best to get a price for postage as that will widen your market?

Someone on eBay thinks they are rare and wants £60 for 4 without centre caps....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-mk2-golf- ... SwVH5aW0Zr

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

mark1gls wrote:Not a rare wheel, Mk2 Golf 16v Gti had them fitted as standard, but I think they are getting harder to find in good condition and straight.

There proper name for them is “Montreal”

http://website.lineone.net/~dr.dub/vw_o ... wheels.htm

I’ve a set on my Mk1 Golf and I like them as they are very easy to clean. :-D

I’m on the lookout for 1 wheel as I hit a pot hole and have a big dent on the inside of one of mine...

You could advertise them on eBay but best to get a price for postage as that will widen your market?

Someone on eBay thinks they are rare and wants £60 for 4 without centre caps....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-mk2-golf- ... SwVH5aW0Zr
You can come buy some spares from me cheap! Only a few miles away.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Ohhh might be interested, aren’t you down in Cornwall? I’m not far from Yeovil.
I’m broke at the moment, spent to much at Christmas... bring on the end of the month and the shorter month of February. :-D

Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

mark1gls wrote:Ohhh might be interested, aren’t you down in Cornwall? I’m not far from Yeovil.
I’m broke at the moment, spent to much at Christmas... bring on the end of the month and the shorter month of February. :-D
No I'm in Essex, for some reason I thought you lived in bicanacre

essextom

Post by essextom »

mark1gls wrote:Ohhh might be interested, aren’t you down in Cornwall? I’m not far from Yeovil.
I used to work in Yeovil and was in Cornwall for a while but I've settled back home now.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

No worries, I do have 2 sets of bottle tops and 1 spare with a very slight buckle, 1 set belongs to my brother but his Mk2 Storm as been stuck in his garage for 7 years so I do need to find him a replacement as it was his set I bent so I’m in no major rush, maybe something we could sort out if you going to the national meet in August if you want to sell just 1 wheel?
Not bothered if paint looks bad or scratched, or slight curbing on edges as I’ll re paint them, they just need to be round...

Membership No. 323
essextom

Post by essextom »

mark1gls wrote:No worries, I do have 2 sets of bottle tops and 1 spare with a very slight buckle, 1 set belongs to my brother but his Mk2 Storm as been stuck in his garage for 7 years so I do need to find him a replacement as it was his set I bent so I’m in no major rush, maybe something we could sort out if you going to the national meet in August if you want to sell just 1 wheel?
Not bothered if paint looks bad or scratched, or slight curbing on edges as I’ll re paint them, they just need to be round...
I'll def be going to nationals. I imagine I'll still have them, message me nearer the time and I'll email you some pics etc.. I'm happy to keep a couple to play about with.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

No worries, I'll be in touch nearer the time.
If you do find someone or wish to sell them before August then please don't hold onto them for me just incase I don't need them.

Many thanks. :good:

Sorry for hijacking your thread Chris...

Membership No. 323