Photobucket pictures

Forum rules, sign up, posting pics, classifieds
Forum rules
Please can everybody add a town/city location at this point in your profile? Makes life much easier if you start listing parts wanted or for sale.........cheers
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Photobucket pictures

Post by mark1gls »

On the MK1 Golf forum they found a way to get the all the photobucket pictures posted in threads off photobucket and on the website, any chance of that happening on here?

Don’t know how complicated or if even possible?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXTRA

Re: Photobucket pictures

Post by GTXTRA »

will raise with the tech-heads Mark.

thanks

Serial Rocco-ist.........
a57737

Post by a57737 »

I'm not aware of any tools to do it, but would happily try some if pointed in the right direction.

My understanding is you need to be logged into the account hosting the images to download them, not sure if there's another way of obtaining them.

We'd then need to know how much space they all take up before uploading to the site.

Finally we'd need to update at the image links on the forum.

Manually it's a lot of work, but not impossible. Like I said, there may be a tool for it, but I haven't seen one yet.

Personally I've been moving my pictures to my existing web space and updating my links myself.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by mr.brown »

With Photobucket as long as the picture is marked Public (which it most likely is if shared on a forum) then anyone with a Photobucket account can access it. I've recently been downloading tons of pics this way - all sadly car related.

a57737

Post by a57737 »

Ok, that's useful information.

That just leaves the semantics of collecting, uploading and relinking them all. Quite a task if done manually.

I'll have another look for tools over the weekend and see what's available.

Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

I used to run a hosting company a few years back before selling it and moving on as I got bored... not ideal haha.

However I do remember one of our support guys having to do this for a client and they found the easiest way was to install a drop box add on to the forum which captured all the photo links and saved them to a folder within drop box.

After that we just made a directory on the server and did a mass dump. (Avoid doing it at peak times as you will probably piss the host off lol)
And from there he made a script to replace any line which contained any image name which was in the folder with the new link.

As I said this was a few years ago and I’d think that the current links would have to work for it to be successful. And then again it might not be possible to code any type of script like that anymore due to the new security layers which servers now have.

I do still do a few sites so if I can attempt to be any assistance just let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack
South East

VW Scirocco Scala MK2 1.8 Inj
Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Im trying to find a link to how they did it??

Found this info so far.

"I have worked out how to get the images off photobucket.
There is a workaround to make the images appear again - I would imagine that it will be closed soon.
I wrote a perl script to scan our database, just over 54,000 posts have photobucket URL's, and then copy the images to out local server.
Once that has completed I need to work out how to upload them to Cloudinary and fix the links in the 54,000 posts :-)"

Found this as well?

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... -3rd-party

Not sure if it's possible on here?

It's just there is so much helpful information on this site and pictures play a big part of it.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Sounds similar to what I did ages ago with the script, annoyingly I don’t know perl, however if you could somehow obtain the script I might be able to edit it...

I’m interested to know how he managed to fix the link issue afterwards

Jack
South East

Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
Jack92
Site Admin

Post by Jack92 »

Annoyingly I haven’t come up with anything yet, you had any joy mark?

Jack
South East

Jaguar XE

www.jackgregory.me.uk
a57737

Post by a57737 »

Thanks Jack,

I've had a go with the method outlined on vwgolfmk1.org.uk, but PB have actually swapped out my shared photos (thought I'd test with affected images) with the "ransom" message, so I don't get the alternative image refs.

While there are a few methods to pull the images themselves from PB, replacing them all is a manual task really as far as I can tell.

Will continue thinking on this, do shout if someone has seen a script or something to update these.

Cheers