So who else is feeling old?

General discussion focusing mainly on the cars and the Scirocco Register - other stuff within reason.
Forum rules
This is a GENERAL discussion area - we have set up specific areas for eg technical queries, model specific issues etc etc to help you get the right answer quicker.
eefy
fill in the right answer: 10

So who else is feeling old?

Post by eefy »

So today is officially the future and I didn't get into my flying car this morning to get to work and my longboard still has wheels :( but worse of all is the fact I went to see the film at the cinema as a kid and 2015 was a life time away, and here I am 30 years later sat at work :(

mark1gls

Re: So who else is feeling old?

Post by mark1gls »

At least you are driving a sort of Delorean (if you squint and know nothing about cars)

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

I've been feeling old since 1998, when I realised that I was never going to be a professional racing driver. That's when Jenson Button (who's essentially the same age as me) started in F1 and I hadn't competed in a single race yet. The shortage of a few million in my bank account was a comparatively minor concern.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

it's all right for you guys you feel old - i am old :shock:

Danny
the edmundator

Post by the edmundator »

Thanks, gramps, I feel better already.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

:good: Good man that man!

Danny
hiltow

Post by hiltow »

So today is officially the future and I didn't get into my flying car this morning to get to work and my longboard still has wheels :( but worse of all is the fact I went to see the film at the cinema as a kid and 2015 was a life time away, and here I am 30 years later sat at work :(
A very poignant post. Yes, it's all hitting me at once - I am starting to feel old. When that film was made, I was 12 and 2015 seemed a very long time in the future, made all the more shocking by the visions of 2015 being portrayed.

Now I'm in 2015, the reality is in some ways much more prosaic than was envisaged. Looking back, the time since 1989 (even 1985 for that matter) seems to have flown very quickly and at what seems to be an ever increasing speed. I still feel grounded in that time and the early 1990s when I was growing up, but what hits me is that things are very much moving on now from then as illustrated by 'milestones' like today and the fact that objects (like our cars!) are now becoming museum pieces.

Still, some things don't change - in political terms we're back in 1982 it seems!