1982 1.5 CL Auto

Scirocco Register members projects
Forum rules
Section for all vehicle and related projects. Please keep responses pertinent to thread.
The Milkman
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1982 1.5 CL Auto

Post by The Milkman »

The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

Doesn't look too bad consdering it was cold, wet and painted on my driveway. If I get a chance before the weather gets too bad I'll try and get some filler and topcoat on the outside and then in the spring get the other side welded up.

Little_bro

Post by Little_bro »

Primer can absorb moisture. If you are going to leave the arch in primer for a while try this paint http://www.rust.co.uk/000-custom-epoxy- ... r/p501025/#

The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

Little_bro wrote:Primer can absorb moisture. If you are going to leave the arch in primer for a while try this paint http://www.rust.co.uk/000-custom-epoxy- ... r/p501025/#
Cheers mate, aerosols are about as technicl as I get with painting, I might give it a quick blast in body colour until it gets done properly.

The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

Covered the inside wheel well with waxoyl today, looks like shit but hopefully it'll keep the tinworm at bay.

While I was in the boot I noticed a small puddle, traced it back to the rear light and found another bodge.

Some sort of sticky, gunky crap that obviously doesn't work as it's still leaking and I bet it's gonna be a bastard to get off!

MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MikeH »

Nice work - your welding and fabrication looks great. Looks like you've done quite a bit before.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

MikeH wrote:Nice work - your welding and fabrication looks great. Looks like you've done quite a bit before.
I wish!! Welding and fab work is all done by a friend of mine, I'm sure he'll be chuffed with the compiments 8-)

I stick to basic mechanical stuff and a bit of electrics.

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

The Milkman wrote:Covered the inside wheel well with waxoyl today, looks like shit but hopefully it'll keep the tinworm at bay.

While I was in the boot I noticed a small puddle, traced it back to the rear light and found another bodge.

Some sort of sticky, gunky crap that obviously doesn't work as it's still leaking and I bet it's gonna be a bastard to get off!
This is the stuff that the dealers sell to cure leaks, it is easy to get off and effective when applied correctly.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
Little_bro

Post by Little_bro »

The Milkman wrote:
Little_bro wrote:Primer can absorb moisture. If you are going to leave the arch in primer for a while try this paint http://www.rust.co.uk/000-custom-epoxy- ... r/p501025/#
Cheers mate, aerosols are about as technicl as I get with painting, I might give it a quick blast in body colour until it gets done properly.

Get your top coat on quick. Use a hair dryer to warm up the area then apply sevral coats within 10 - 15 minute intervals between coats.

The rust co epoxy paints can be applied with a brush then sanded down. In fact I've just put some on the rust spots on my pewter mk2 scirocco untill I can get time to do a full repaint.

The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

ianaudia4 wrote:
The Milkman wrote:Covered the inside wheel well with waxoyl today, looks like shit but hopefully it'll keep the tinworm at bay.

This is the stuff that the dealers sell to cure leaks, it is easy to get off and effective when applied correctly.
Ah, ok. Is that the best cure? Can I not just get new seals?

The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

Little_bro wrote:
The Milkman wrote:
Get your top coat on quick. Use a hair dryer to warm up the area then apply sevral coats within 10 - 15 minute intervals between coats.

The rust co epoxy paints can be applied with a brush then sanded down. In fact I've just put some on the rust spots on my pewter mk2 scirocco untill I can get time to do a full repaint.

Was going to have a play today but it hasn't stopped bloody raining! :(

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

The Milkman wrote:
ianaudia4 wrote:

Probably not! I bought the last one from VW UK back in 2010 for my Scala!

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
BlueGT

Post by BlueGT »

This is looking really good and inspiring me to crack on with mine, just need some time off work and the weather to play ball!

1990 MK2 Scirocco GT 1.8
1982 MK1 Golf 1.6 GLi Cabrio - unfinished project - up for sale soon!
1983 MK1 Golf 1.8 GTI Cabrio - waiting on shell swap due to tinworm
MikeH
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by MikeH »

The Milkman wrote:
MikeH wrote:Nice work - your welding and fabrication looks great. Looks like you've done quite a bit before.
I wish!! Welding and fab work is all done by a friend of mine, I'm sure he'll be chuffed with the compiments 8-)

I stick to basic mechanical stuff and a bit of electrics.

I've seen a lot worse done by 'professionals'. You should buy him a few beers if you're not already paying him.

1992 Scala ABF - SOLD
1989 Scala track toy. Dormant
1986 GTX - Lunar mileage but still a good un
Mk1 Classic Touring Car Project...slowly does it
1984 1.6 GT Project. 69k In progress
1.6GL. 2 Owners, 60k. SOLD
1.6 GL - 100k miles -Back on the road!
The Milkman

Post by The Milkman »

ianaudia4 wrote:
The Milkman wrote:
ianaudia4 wrote:

Probably not! I bought the last one from VW UK back in 2010 for my Scala!
Bugger :(