Rear Leaks

Bodyshell and Panels; Fittings; Dashboards; Interiors; Bumpers; Light clusters front and rear (non electrical queries) Grilles and brightwork; Repairs including to bulkhead due to clutch cable pulling through
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jbo
fill in the right answer: 10

Rear Leaks

Post by jbo »

Hi All,

It's time to finally get the rocco up and running. There is lots of water in the boot which needs sorting. I bought the car as a bare shell with no parts on it at all so the seals would of been broken.

Is the below the best way of going about fixing the leaks -

- Seal the rear lights with VW sealer tape p/n AKD49701004R10 which can be found here - http://www.vwgenuineparts.co.uk/parts/VW_Seal.shtml.

- Seal the gas struts and spoiler with liquid gasket

- What's the best way to seal the spoiler against the glass? I've read there is an actual seal that needs applying on the whole things.....any ideas?

Cheers
Jason

ianaudia4
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Rear Leaks

Post by ianaudia4 »

Yes, that is the correct part number for the seal cord. It can be used for all sorts of applications, the rear lights, door membranes, holding carpet down etc etc.

I don't remember there being any sealant on the rear spoiler on both of my cars when I removed them to clean the glass!

Don't overlook the boot lock seal and the number plate backing plate, they are the usual suspects.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
DannyH

Post by DannyH »

Also check the badge clips as water gets in if they are loose or missing.

Danny
Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

The rear spoiler only "rests" on the glass.

Around the fixing point which go through the hatch there should be a gasket or use some of the sealingcord aswell.

http://www.vagcat.com/epc/cat/vw/COR/1986/13/56/185756/

Numbers 5,6 and 7 are used from new.

Joost

jbo

Post by jbo »

Cheers guys. The boot lock seal and number plate lights are brand new and the boot has been debadged.

Looks like it definitely is the glass and lights then!I will grab some sealing cord and apply this on the hatch points.

Joost - what about the struts that attach to the car via two screws. Will a bit of liquid gasket do around here?

jbo

Post by jbo »

Scratch that....I found it on vagacat. Looks like I need 4 x 533809636.

Can you guess my next question Joost? :-) Do you have any of these?

Cheers
Jason

Blueshark

Post by Blueshark »

jbo wrote:Scratch that....I found it on vagacat. Looks like I need 4 x 533809636.

Can you guess my next question Joost? :-) Do you have any of these?

Cheers
Jason

Hi Jason,

Yes you need four of these, I do not have them but you could use any rubber O-ring which will fit.

But the VW seal rolled up could also be used, anything to much will be pushed out when fixxing the screws.

Greetings, Joost