Help with basic upgrades

Discussion relating to the Scirocco 1982-1991 - - please ask technical questions in the technical/trouble shooting section
ikorraks
fill in the right answer: 15

Help with basic upgrades

Post by ikorraks »

Hi there, new member

Been looking at the forums since i became an owner of a 1.6GT Scirocco mk2, I've left it untouched for several months but recently spoke to someone who used to run an owners club in Northern Ireland, and he's recommended a few simple upgrades

Just wondered if i could get some help with these and advice on the best brands/ places to get them.

I've got some high performance spark plugs from Bosch, he recommended high performance ignition leads but I don't know what make to get or where to go for these.

He's recommended a Weber carb, my carb seems to be playing up, the back end of my exhaust is black with soot and starting the car can take up to 10 seconds, just turning the key as far as it will go in the ignition.

I've bought an exhaust from Jetex, single tailpipe one, going to get it fitted soon but wondered if you guys think that a novice would be able to do it from home with the right equipment on the drive in a day?

Any other advice on upgrades appreciated. I'm aiming to get the car in reliable running order, I'd like the car to be as economical to run as it can essentially. I know you won't get modern MPG from it but I dont think I've got near to 30MPG since I got it 5 months ago

Thanks in advance any help/advice

ikorraks

Re: Help with basic upgrades

Post by ikorraks »

Just some additional, I've checked the spark plugs and ignition leads, the leads say "high tenperature double silicon iso 3808" are these standard ignition leads?

The spark plugs look standard to me, I'm nervous about taking them off and putting the new ones on. I know it should be a simple job but I'm worried about braking something getting the old ones out, or putting the new ones in too tight/ not tight enough. How fool proof is the job?

ianaudia4

Post by ianaudia4 »

Welcome along mate.

Your car should be capable of a decent MPG, easily in line with modern cars (except a diesel).

A Weber carb is the usual replacement for an old worn out standard Pierburg carb (decent when new but few people know how to maintain them these days). Make sure you get it set up right.
Modern Bosch plugs are good, only fit what is a direct replacement for your car.
Plug leads, I have Bosch leads fitted to mine, they are more than up to the job and far cheaper than so called high performance leads that will not make your car go faster!
Change the dizzy cap and rotor arm as well for good measure.
Give the car a good service, change the oil and filter (get the oil and filter from VW, no more than £25 for both).

Fitting an exhaust is not difficult on a drive way, just make sure you use axle stands or ramps, use eye protection and have ready a hacksaw and new claps and hangers.

Invest in a Haynes manual, all the jobs you want to do are listed in there except fitting the Weber.

Enjoy the car and always nice to see some pictures.

1984 MK2 Havanna brown Storm
1989 MK2 Alpine white Scala injection
2006 Audi A4 3.0TDI quattro (the beast)
ikorraks

Post by ikorraks »

Thanks very much, I'll look into buying a Haynes manual this weekend. I've only ever driven classic minis so this "high performance" stuff is all new to me! It goes plenty quick enough as it is now

If I could be getting similar mpg to modern petrol engines then do you think there is something wrong? There never seems to be any residue left under the car in the morning but it can smell like petrol starting it in the morning.

I'll put some pictures of it up on the other thread :)

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

ikorraks wrote:Thanks very much, I'll look into buying a Haynes manual this weekend. I've only ever driven classic minis so this "high performance" stuff is all new to me! It goes plenty quick enough as it is now

If I could be getting similar mpg to modern petrol engines then do you think there is something wrong? There never seems to be any residue left under the car in the morning but it can smell like petrol starting it in the morning.

I'll put some pictures of it up on the other thread :)

Hey, for a 1.6 Carb you should be seeing over 30 MPG...As mentioned, do the usual, oil, filters, leads and plugs. If you're still seeing performance issues have a look around for a vacuum leaks. If you switch out the pierburg with a weber, check the condition of the carb mount...They're cheap to replace - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311041739330? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Have fun!

- David
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

Where are you based?

ikorraks

Post by ikorraks »

whiteshark wrote:Where are you based?
Near Stratford-Upon-Avon in Warwickshire :)

Another question, if I get the weber, will it all attach up with everything that was connected to the pierburg or will I need the full fitting kit? I've seen it saying about fitting fuel filters with, but I've already got an in-line fuel filter fitted

So in short can I just buy the Weber carb as a standalone item and fit it into the car? I'll look to get the item on the eBay link at the same time :)

bengould

Post by bengould »

You will need the fitting kit. It comes with a mounting plate, airbox adapter, choke cable and all the hardware for mounting the cables in the right place. The dmtl is used on lots of different cars so if you just buy the basic carb it won't come with the bits you need to fit it.
When you fit the weber you can get rid of some of the vacuum hoses in the engine bay and the big green ball on the scuttle panel.

Ben.

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

ikorraks wrote:
whiteshark wrote:Where are you based?
Near Stratford-Upon-Avon in Warwickshire :)

Another question, if I get the weber, will it all attach up with everything that was connected to the pierburg or will I need the full fitting kit? I've seen it saying about fitting fuel filters with, but I've already got an in-line fuel filter fitted

So in short can I just buy the Weber carb as a standalone item and fit it into the car? I'll look to get the item on the eBay link at the same time :)

This kit includes everything you need...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-genuine-W ... 3cdc2086dd

Remember to keep hold of the base heater element from the pierburg...Looks like this - http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3765/1110 ... c819_b.jpg

- David
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323