whats et and what should it be on a scirocco

Standard and aftermarket Wheels and Tyres
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
sidewalkdave

whats et and what should it be on a scirocco

Post by sidewalkdave »

Basicly found some wheels in the scrappy they have the audi four rings pressed into them so im guessing there from an audi there four stud and on the rim it says et37 will these go on the scirocco?
cheers

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: whats et and what should it be on a scirocco

Post by GTXTRA »

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

They may be 4x100 if from an early Audi - but 4x108 was a more common Audi stud pattern

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

ET is measured fromt he centre line of the wheel (i thought) like so;

And the closer to the centre you go, the more the wheel pokes out. So an offset of 0 will poke out 38mm more than a 38mm ET wheel.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Doug T

Post by Doug T »

Boumsong wrote:ET is measured fromt he centre line of the wheel (i thought) like so;

And the closer to the centre you go, the more the wheel pokes out. So an offset of 0 will poke out 38mm more than a 38mm ET wheel.

Rim offset (or ET) is the difference between the center line of the wheel and the wheel mounting surface. Look at the rim chart I posted. The target is 4.5" of back spacing. As rim width decreases the offset increases (in other words the outside gets shorter but the inside of the rim (back spacing) stays the same at or near 4.5". You want to tuck the rims under the car as much as possible without rubbing (or you want the wheel to pivot near the center of the wheel bearing). Most new one piece wheels have too much offset for the A1 Scirocco chassis. Manufactures found that the wheel bearings last longer if the offset was increased. Our chassis geometry was designed before this was understood and our cars were designed with very thin wheels that don't multiply the issue.

Doug T California USA.

bluestreak56

Post by bluestreak56 »

Could this be added to the FAQ please I think its most useful.