My current engine swap -

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Boumsong
fill in the right answer: 10

My current engine swap -

Post by Boumsong »

I will be starting a full project thread on this when I get around to it, but for now, here's a little sneaky peak.

I did mention last year that I was thinking about converting a Scirocco to RWD, well it's happening, there's where a few ups and downs last few months, and I nearly sold all of the Scirocco, however, this left me with a bare shell, and thus potential. A recent change of circumstances has allowed me to take up this challenge.

So here goes;

I'll be using the M50B20 engine found in E36 320i's. 6 cylinder, 155bhp, 1991cc and rear wheel drive.

Photo's will be posted in the project thread.

2k Painter and Powdercoater
Ryan

Re: My current engine swap -

Post by Ryan »

Excellent to see this happening :yahoo:
Good luck with it :D

Octavia elegance kombi TDI
Slumdogscala

Post by Slumdogscala »

Every credit mate, I'm a big fan of rwd. What are you planning for the rest of the running gear? Has anyone else done a rwd rocco? :good:

89 scala inj.
86 ur quattro
83 chevette rally car (work in progress)
69 alfa 1750 gtv (work in progress)
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

I can't say I've heard of another RWD Scirocco, there was a dedicated drag one, but I'm not sure that counts.

As for running gear, I'll be using all BMW under pinnings, gearbox, rear axle etc Including a shortened prop-shaft. I'll be test fitting the rear axle tomorrow, see how that goes. The engine and gearbox will be the most troublesome, the blukhead needs modifying to take the gear box; I'll need to fab up some sort of tunnel.

kariba

Post by kariba »

Excellent news dude.
I had wonderred if you were going ahead with this or not.
Give me a shout if you need help with anything.

Neil Baker on old website.

1985 Mk2 Flash Silver GTX - Now sold to Millsy20
Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Note to Mods- Is it ok if I use this as a discussion thread for my conversion?

I'm struggling like hell to get the BMW stripped, everything is over built and 10x heavier than that on the Scirocco. On the Scirocco front, that's pretty much ready to go now, I just need to strip the BMW down, properly, then I can start swapping bits over, cutting, grinding, measuring etc etc..All the fun stuff!!

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Boumsong wrote:Note to Mods- Is it ok if I use this as a discussion thread for my conversion?
prefer not, we set the project threads up to allow only authors to update after seeing how other forums had allowed their build threads to get out of control.

the tech sections give people enough areas to ask/answer specific questions.

thanks.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
Rusty dan

Post by Rusty dan »

nice idea mate, thinking the same after i have done my current one..
good luck and get up the pics in the proj thread :cool:

Click below for Rocco build pics
http://s174.photobucket.com/albums/w114 ... occo%20GT/

insanecreations.net
hyperdrinky

Post by hyperdrinky »

All i can say is good luck mate.

I haven't seen anyone else with a proper RWD conversion. I have seen the 4 wheel drive version (http://www.durocco.com). I've always toyed with the idea of twin VR6s in mine but am worried about the handling... and I'm skint! Maybe one day...

I've worked on a lot of BMW engines in the past (M30s mainly). Really powerful and well built.

walkinginperu

Post by walkinginperu »

I've got an E36 325 track car, which is a bit of a handful. I think the handling might be a bit dodgy even with a 320 lump in your 'rocco, you're a brave man! :good: The BMW engines are pretty heavy, might make it a bit of a barge through the corners?

roccodave

Post by roccodave »

walkinginperu wrote:I've got an E36 325 track car, which is a bit of a handful. I think the handling might be a bit dodgy even with a 320 lump in your 'rocco, you're a brave man! :good: The BMW engines are pretty heavy, might make it a bit of a barge through the corners?
i thought that the 6cyl would be a lot of weight on the front
it may be better with a 4cyl 318is engine i think they are 145bhp so not a big drop
should be a lot lighter tho so it will handle better

Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Having driven both a 318 and a 320 and been in an M Roadster (3.2 6 cyl) - I couldn't settle for less than 6 cylinders, the deliver of power is sooo smooth all the way to the limiter. Granted bhp isn't that great being around 150bhp, but the larger capacity more than makes up for it..It's hard to explain, but try and get a drive in a 4 cyl then a 6 cyl BMW and you'll see what I mean.

silver_rocco

Post by silver_rocco »

why not go synchro running gear, think this has been doen in a rocco

Boumsong

Post by Boumsong »

Just test fitted the engine tonight.