Oil in exhaust.

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
DougWomble
fill in the right answer: 10

Oil in exhaust.

Post by DougWomble »

:-(

1.8 GT Auto which has been sat unused for about 4 months. It had no problems over the summer whenever I started it up, but taking it for a drive recently resulted in this: https://youtu.be/Cd3Prn4hPDA , as well as the aforementioned oil in the exhaust.

While I've been tinkering with bits of the car I've done nothing more than replace the ignition module, and had a fiddle with the Weber carb replacement (again, nothing significant).

Can anyone throw some light on this remotely (as difficult as it may be)? Valves? Gaskets?

As someone who's not mechanically minded I may have to get it trailered and throw money at the problem (again).

Thank you.

1989 Bog standard MkII GT - and it makes me very happy!
DougWomble

Re: Oil in exhaust.

Post by DougWomble »

For what it's worth, it starts up fine and everything's normal when I rev it - apart from the oil - the noise and rattling only starts after a couple of minutes.

1989 Bog standard MkII GT - and it makes me very happy!
GT_II
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GT_II »

I'm assuming you've checked the oil level recently?

I don't know how likely your engine is suffering the same issue, but that sound reminds me of the piston slap we experienced back in 2000 on my wife's 1 year old VW Polo. In most cases I'm guessing this would result from inadequate maintenance or very high mileage, but in our case the dealer fitted a brand new engine under warranty as a batch of pistons were known to have escaped the hardening process during manufacture.

1992 VW Scirocco GT II 1.8 90PS Brilliant Black 30k
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Oil in exhaust could be from old valve steam seals which go hard over time and oil can get past the seal and into the cylinders then down the exhaust. It’s best to remove the head to change the seals and check the valve stem guides.

Or it could be the breather underneath the rocker cover is blocked as it causes to much pressure and can force oil into the cylinders. To check take the rocker cover off and look at the metal gauze.

How many miles has the engine done?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323