1981 Mk1 Storm Radiator

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
ken
fill in the right answer: 10

1981 Mk1 Storm Radiator

Post by ken »

Hi All, said in my intro that I'm finally starting the restoration, ordering parts etc for the post paint job rebuild. I have a part number for the rad which is 171121253D and it looks like the one that came with the car. Trouble is it has brackets at each end, top and bottom, but doesn't seem right for the car and it looks like some one has "bodged" some mounts in to the front cross member to make it fit?? I ordered one for the EG engine but it's far too big and doesn't match the shroud mounting holes. Was there a cross over between late type 53 and early type 53B 1.6 gti engines.
Confused.
KEN

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 1981 Mk1 Storm Radiator

Post by mr.brown »

Later, mk2 radiators had two slots at the top corners for metal brackets that slid in and then bolted into the slam panel. At the bottom there were two plastic pins that located into holes in the crossmember.

The original radiator would have been attached to these -

https://www.classic-vw.co.uk/fuel-pump- ... 9300-p.asp

which in turn were screwed into the front crossmember. At the top there should be an "S" pin that hold the shroud to the the slam panel.

There was a point about 15-20 years ago when none of the original stuff was being made, there was no VW Heritage or Classic-VW or even Volkswagen's own Classic Parts department - the only thing you could do was "upgrade".

ken

Post by ken »

Thanks for that Mr Brown. Yeah, I remember the bits that slid in to the slam on mk2 cars having owned many of them. As I said I can get a rad from Autodoc but it looks "weird" and the cards either side don't fit well either. Suppose I could go with it and hack the top brackets off, tidy it up and secure with the S pin.
Know anyone that might want to swap or have any mk1 bits?

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

There are a couple of mk1s being broken on the Facebook group "Mk1 and mk2 Scirocco Parts For Sale/Wanted" - one in Wales and one in Norway.

I'm chopping up an LHD and have a brand new rad - exactly the one you need as the cowling I have is from a Storm and it fits exactly BUT I may need it for an imminently arriving project. I can't even get you the part number as it's in a garage 5 miles away.

ken

Post by ken »

Just joining the Facebook group as advised by Rust Republic!! Does the cowling have the two flaps on it? The one I have does but something just doesn't look right......................
Got or can get most stuff I need. Stuff around the door windows is a bit rare!! Got the bits that go on the top edge of the doors but they're a bit tatty

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

Door bits I definitely have spare - the ones on the LHD are still on there - and I have a full set that came off my other mk1 that I won't need. Again, all in my garage. If you can get a me a picture of exactly what you want I can let you know if I have it.

ken

Post by ken »

Cheers , I'll get the pics and thanks. really. I was given a Cosmos Blue Mk1 Storm years back that I had to scrap due to lack of space. Wish I had it now!!

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
ken

Post by ken »

Hi Mr Brown pics attached -Also do you have any rear bumper brackets? near side is fine but off side is just about beyond repair Thanks Ken
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Is your radiator a top fill one (cap fitted to the radiator) or the type with the expansion tank fitted near the passenger side turret/brake servo?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
mr.brown

Post by mr.brown »

My door strips are both broken in the same place -

GTXTRA

Post by GTXTRA »

Hi, I went through a lot of radiator issues when I bought my 81 Gti if you check this thread.

http://forum.sciroccoregister.co.uk/vie ... 19&t=21099

Serial Rocco-ist.........
ken

Post by ken »

Hi, the radiator "fitted" when I bought the car in 1998 has the expansion tank pretty much like most of the later injected cars.
Just gonna look at the tread GT. Thanks.

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
ken

Post by ken »

Had a look at the thread and do you know the width of the rad fitted to the Gti? Someone mentioned 525mm but I tried one that size and it's way out on the cowl fixing holes so returned it. Just measured mine "again" and it's 480mm. That's the shiny bit between the headers.
Nice car by the way. Mine should be done in about a year I hope because I'm 68 now and the bloody clock is ticking!!!!!

Ken, ExRN
1981 Mk1 Scirocco Storm
Just started.
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Hi Ken, I also had problems getting a rad for my 1981 Mk 1 injection as well. Got one from Heritage and wasn't the same. In the end I got one through Autodoc. It came from somewhere in Europe and was very cheap but fitted perfectly. Postage cost quite a bit !