Mk1 Oil Temperature

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
dubkopfe_j

Mk1 Oil Temperature

Post by dubkopfe_j »

After 2 and a bit years i've just finished rebuilding my mk1 with a G60 engine.

With the original engine in, the oil temp gauge always used to sit at around 80C. I never thought much of it because it wasn't ever going to be used much before the transplant and I figured the 1.6 just ran slightly cooler than i was used to with other vw's.

Now it has the G60 in it, it still sits at 80C. Which seems very odd as I know G60's run hot on their oil and I was expecting oil temp anywhere between 100 and 130 (at least until i fit an air-to-oil cooler)

I've re-done the wiring from the fusebox to the sender (along with everything else forward of the fusebox :roll: ) and it seems fine. I've fitted a new sensor and with the sensor in place the body of the sensor is providing a good earth. I'm going to double check the continuity from the sensor through to the gauge but otherwise i'm stumped

Has anyone else had a similar issue? Do you think it could be a faulty/sticky gauge? (i thought they usually either work or don't work)

(originally posted on old forum 6/4/2009)

monzajake
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Mk1 Oil Temperature

Post by monzajake »

nope your oil temp is sitting about right, 80 to around 90 is normal.
When you start giving it some hard beans it will go up abit.
Most ive ever got mine up to was 116 after some crazy driving. So dont worry bud sitting about right.
:good: