Oh no - big oil leak from engine....ideas on from where?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
timmaaah
fill in the right answer: 15

Oh no - big oil leak from engine....ideas on from where?

Post by timmaaah »

1992 GTII 1.8 8v carb got a serious oil leak from the driver's side certainly maybe front, not sure where exactly as it's dark and I can't see.

Missus got home asked me to put some water in the washer jets. Noticed the driver's side of the engine was wet - closer look made out to be oil. Lookede underneath and sure enough an trail of oil under the car. Several drops/a pool on the floor. Seems to be dripping from the front of the sump, nut can't really see.

Common place for these to leak oil from? Really need to get this sorted asap as it's a daily driver.

HELP!!!

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Oh no - big oil leak from engine....ideas on from where?

Post by mark1gls »

Common oil leak is rocker cover gasket, but I’ve also had leaks from cam shaft seal, intermediate shaft seal, dissy shaft seal, oil filter housing by the water feed oil cooler and that went big time and emptied my oil in 2 miles of driving, lucky I spotted the clouds of smoke from oil on the hot exhaust before I ran out so much and the oil light came on...

My current leak if the gearbox flange seals but that oil has a different smell.

Might be worth checking the oil pressure sensor on top of the oil filter housing as well, lift the rubber boot it you have one.

Stick a bottle of oil in the car and keep an eye on it.

It’s really hard to say where your leak is as there’s lots of places it could be, clean up the engine and try and find the leak or if you nearly need it doing ASAP take it to a garage and I’m sure they can find it for you.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
frlrubett

Post by frlrubett »

I thought mine was leaking from the sump and running around to the left of engine and dropping down (if you are looking at it with bonnet up). turned out it was the oil pressure switch.

timmaaah

Post by timmaaah »

Okies - I've sprayed some degreaser on it and will rinse it off tomorrow when it's a bit lighter and see if I can see where it's coming from.

It's deffo the left side as you look at the engine (belts end). There's nothing from where the oil filter attaches - I can see that area and there's no sign of leakage there.

It's a double pain in the ass as my 'rado is currently undergoing an engine out rebuild, hence the need to sort it asap. Not too keen on driving it anywhere as 1 I don't want to run out of oil, and 2, and more importantly I don't want to drop engine oil over the road!!

Will rinse off, start up and update tomorrow. Cheers :)

scrumpyone
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by scrumpyone »

I had one on my GT2 a few months ago, as Mark said 'twas the camshaft seal.

Dave

Register No:1110
'79 MK1 GLS (R.I.P.)
'91 MK2 GT2 (alive & kicking)