Oil catch can

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
keal28
fill in the right answer: 15

Oil catch can

Post by keal28 »

Hey

Picked up my Mk2 at the weekend and had a long drive home, half way home i found a load of oil in the eng bay but found out it was an oil catch can that was full so just needed emptying, drove rest of the way home, where i found it was still leaking oil out of the filter, seems when the engine is vibrating it spits oil out of the filter, the engine levels still seems fine.

New to old motors, and never had a catch can before, I'm presuming its not normal for it to be spitting oil, but not sure what the fault or fix would be?

Appreciate it if anyone has some advice :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

blakey
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Oil catch can

Post by blakey »

Which engine is it?

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
essextom

Post by essextom »

take the cam cover off and check it still has a plastic cover between the cam and cam cover.

keal28

Post by keal28 »

blakey wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:00 pm Which engine is it?
1.8 16v KR

keal28

Post by keal28 »

essextom wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am take the cam cover off and check it still has a plastic cover between the cam and cam cover.
Cheers, away working for a few weeks so ill check when im back, would that cause the can to leak if theres no cover?

essextom

Post by essextom »

keal28 wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:28 pm
essextom wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:40 am take the cam cover off and check it still has a plastic cover between the cam and cam cover.
Cheers, away working for a few weeks so ill check when im back, would that cause the can to leak if theres no cover?
It could cause the catch can to fill up quickly

blakey

Post by blakey »

You'll probably need to clean the filter too, it looks oil soaked, so while there's pressure in the can it will keep dripping.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A512 using Tapatalk

'89 Sapphire Scala Inj.
Member No. 1455
scirocco_ne

Post by scirocco_ne »

Catch tank systems will always create mess and oil to a point.

The whole purpose of it is to remove the recycling of hot breather air into the intake and vent it to atmosphere.

They catch alot but naturally a good deal of oil vapour always makes it to the filter still and drips once it saturates it.

In my opinion they are for boy racers and dedicated performance set ups only on track or race cars. Creating a good cold air fed intake system is far more benificial on road going motors in my opinion

Mick

james butler

Post by james butler »

its a shame you cant duct hot breather air into the sills then it would provide nice oily inner sill protection :hehe:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I used to ignore any little engine oil leaks as the used dripping engine oil would get blown along the bottom of the car while moving, as mentioned on here before ARPS (automatic rust prevention system) seems to worked well on my car as there’s no rust on the bulk head or floor pan. :-D

New MOT rules have put a stop to this...

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323