Mk1 new radiator

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Hilltop

Mk1 new radiator

Post by Hilltop »

Hi, just got a new rad for my Mk1 injection through VW Heritage. It's exact same part number and 480 mm in length. It s a bit thinner and lighter than the original but will fit. The problem is with the temp sensor. There seems to be a place to put it either side but either the plugs (there are 8mm nuts) are very tight or it seems they need to be drilled out and tapped to size ? Can anyone help ? Thanks !

the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Mk1 new radiator

Post by the edmundator »

Take a look at Sean's (GTXTRA) Project Gitanes 2 thread in the projects section, he recently had some issues with replacing a rad on his mk1 GTI.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

I have now sent back the VWH rad and got a replacement off e-bay which was advertised as a match for the original part number - 171121253D. It is the same dimensions and will fit the car (although return pipe outlet is on wrong side). However the place to fit the temp sensor is different as per photos.
RAD 1.jpg
RAD 2.jpg

I have tried to unscrew the plastic 8 mm nut but either it's very tight or needs to be drilled out and tapped to fit the original sensor - or maybe a different sensor is needed ? Help appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hilltop

Post by Hilltop »

Brief update - did some searching under part number (171121253D) and buycarparts.co.uk came up. It's a company based in Germany and is associated with another similar company called Autodoc. There were images of the radiator and it looked very similar to my original. A bit sceptical but the price was very reasonable so I took the chance. Initially I thought communication was poor - but I later found emails in the spam folder. The part took a week to arrive but it was a direct replacement with resivoir inlet on right side of the rad and correct fitting for the original temp sensor.

moser
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by moser »

Ive used buycarparts before and found them to be excellent. best bit was tracking the package across europe!

91 Scirocco Scala - Too low for MOT ramps apparently
03 Seat Cordoba PD130 - Daily
52 Golf 1.6 - Mrs' shopping trolley