GTX Won't start after period of storage

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

GTX Won't start after period of storage

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

For various reasons my GTX has been sat in the garage for the last 5 months and has not been started in that time. The battery was flat so I recharged before trying the start the car. It turned over very slowly for a second by then no more. It's as if the battery is flat but I know it's fully charged.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

unknownmale

Re: GTX Won't start after period of storage

Post by unknownmale »

Just because a battery is charged it doesn't mean it's good. If you happen to have a battery load tester this will tell you the health of your battery. It can read over 12v but not be able to provide the required amperage the start needs.

Best bet is to test the battery, or even jump the car from another. If while jumping the car you still have a slow starter there are a few tests you can do to narrow down the issue.

Test the amp draw on the positive lead to the starter (If you have a multimeter or even better an amp clamp) it could be that you just have corrosion on the start post or battery.

That'll be a good place to start...But my money is on a bad battery.

- David
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks David. You were right it was the battery. I dont have a tester but it occurred to me that although I have had the car 10 years i have never changed the battery. I got a new one and the car started straight away. Now need to get it ready for MOT

Thanks for the advice.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Take the Earth cable off the battery when leaving the car in the garage so there’s no drain on the battery, completely flattening the battery is not good for it.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323