Metal coolant pipe the long one

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Eagle1
fill in the right answer: 15

Metal coolant pipe the long one

Post by Eagle1 »

So I've recently got the Mk2 Scirocco back on the road after a 9 year slumber. I'm looking at changing the head so my spare and gone for a skim. I was looking at my Mk2 golf and noticed that the metal coolant pipe is a larger diameter. So I'm going to borrow it off the spare engine and try it on the Scirocco. The only things I notice at the moment are I'll have to retain the Scirocco header tank pipe. I'll have to change the rubber hose onto the water pump. I also notice that there is only one fixing point on the side of the cylinder head where the Golf has one on the gearbox and one on the engine mount. I'm also looking at modifying the "crushed" section by the oil filter to make it the same diameter unless someone knows if it's flat for a reason . Ill let you know.
Last edited by Eagle1 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Metal coolant pipe the long one

Post by mark1gls »

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Eagle1
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by Eagle1 »

So having had a look I'm going to change over to the Golf pipe. I need to add the bottom bracket to fit to the engine block by the engine mount. I will also have to warm the pipe up and bend it slightly unless the Golf oil filter bracket is different. Also had the header tank off and what looked like a chamois leather fell out. Looks like it was well silted up. There's also been evidence of that nasty bodge mastic stuff in the inlet manifold rubber to the point that you couldn't even get a pin through it. Radiator change coming up as well and a good cleaning of the pipes. Seems to be a bit of a sludge pit.

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

I guess someone may of put in something like Radweld ?.... Horrible stuff that just blocks up the coolant system over time.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323