Oil

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Lukeh17
fill in the right answer: 15

Oil

Post by Lukeh17 »

I bought the Castrol GTX 10W-40 part synthetic oil but what has turned up is the ultraclean synthetic oil. Is this ok still to use or can it cause problems?

It's this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Castrol-GTX- ... 6bQk1QbU5w

Cheers

unknownmale

Re: Oil

Post by unknownmale »

I don't think anyone will be able to say 100% if it'll be fine or not

But personally I would return it and get this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VOLKS ... rmvSB=true

- David
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Up to you if you use it, Castro’s oil not very good any more as a few people have had problems with it so I would avoid buying more.
Quantum Oil in the link above is the stuff VW would use and best to get a good quality oil filter, genuine VW or Mann filters are the ones to get.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Thanks for the replies. I bought a Bosch oil filter and have used one of them before. I will contact Eurocarparts about the oil.

james butler

Post by james butler »

dont use fully synth as you will inevitably have it comming out of every oil seal.
these engines were designed to run on semi synth tops.
i agree with the comment on castrol, it seems to have gone downhill over the years.
the last time i put it in my car the engine seemed noisier to me.
one of the biggest critisisms about oil is the lack of zddp which provides metallic protection of your valve train and moving parts.
it was taken out to meet new emission regulation and something to do with it damaging catalytic converters.
so if i were you stick to the the synta silver.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

Cheers James. I have it boxed up and ready to send back. I didn't want to put it in and create problems. I will change the brand I use now too.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

[quote="unknownmale"]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-VOLKS ... -LITRE-OIL

^^ Just ordered this

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Quantum is the best stuff, I did not realise it was such a good price of eBay, I was telling you about the Euro car parts oil in case they don’t refund you for the oil and you only get a credit note.

I’m surprised Euro wants the oil back as last time they sent me wrong oil they sent out the new right oil and told me to keep the other one, luckily my brother could use the oil in his car.

Membership No. 323
Lukeh17

Post by Lukeh17 »

mark1gls wrote:Quantum is the best stuff, I did not realise it was such a good price of eBay, I was telling you about the Euro car parts oil in case they don’t refund you for the oil and you only get a credit note.

I’m surprised Euro wants the oil back as last time they sent me wrong oil they sent out the new right oil and told me to keep the other one, luckily my brother could use the oil in his car.
I took it back to the store with the receipt and it was all unopened, I guess that's why they took it. They offered me a refund in cash or on card so it was a decent process, considering on eBay they had sent me the wrong return label too!! All sorted now though.