Late EG engined Mk1 Scirocco GTI - radiators.

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Late EG engined Mk1 Scirocco GTI - radiators.

Post by GTXTRA »

Looking for some guidance from one of the 'older' members on here.

Just acquired a 1981 spec MK1 Scirocco GTI - EG engine.

On these very late Mk1 Roccos the factory switched to an expansion tank set up as per below. Not my car. Note the return hose on the offside end of rad and no outlet on nearside.

My new car has a 480mm rad with the large upper house outlet on the correct side to match the hose into the cylinder head but a bodged return valve set up - i.e the return hose goes into an outlet on the battery/near side and a screw has been forced into the outlet on the offside…

Having sourced what I thought was the correct rad from VWH - using part number 171 121 253d based on the various parts websites - its arrived today and already being sent back. Large hose outlets on the battery/near side end of rad and comes with outlets for return hose on both sides…If any late EG engined car owners still come on here, Any insight re. what rads you have used welcome.

Serial Rocco-ist.........
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: Late EG engined Mk1 Scirocco GTI - radiators.

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Not sure of the part number but when I bought a new rad for my gtx I got the wrong size. (Too small). When I got the correct one I never got round to sending the wrong one back. From your description it sounds like the type you need. If it the right one you can have it for free. I can't upload pics for some reason. If you DM me your email address I will send photo.

GTXTRA
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by GTXTRA »

Now sorted - subject to what's in a box delivered tonight!

Serial Rocco-ist.........
chopperoli

Post by chopperoli »

Haha that is my photo, I can confirm that is a 480mm radiator. Sounds like VW sent you the wrong one?