DX engine piper cam woes

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
blackwedge
fill in the right answer: 15

DX engine piper cam woes

Post by blackwedge »

Evening all, A bit of a long story so i'll be brief:

Fitted piper fast road cam and piper followers, made very sure to zip tie the cam belt to the pulley BEFORE removing old cam to maintain timing alignment, replaced cam, checked dizzy arm was still lined up to the line, it was. Put everything back together, ran it for 20 minutes at 2000 revs to wear in correctly as per instructions.

Car drove fine for a week, although with no noticeable increase in performance over the stock cam (I decided not to scream it until it had done a 100 odd miles or so, thought it might need to settle in)

Then one day went to start her and she back fired and ran with 2 then 3 cylinders and finally all 4, left her for ten and she started and seemed to run ok but with no real guts. Checked the timing and set her to +6 degrees using the white notch on the crank shaft wheel lined up the the mark on the crank case ( vacuum hose off and blocked)

Anyhoo, now she will not start and when she does its lumpy and poppy as F and the merest tap of the accelerator and she dies. I'm sure i've screwed up somewhere, any ideas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

p.s, replaced dizzy cap,rotor arm, ht leads, coil, ignition amplifier, fuse box and fuel pump relay.

chopperoli

Re: DX engine piper cam woes

Post by chopperoli »

cam timing skipped or HT leads in wrong order?

blackwedge

Post by blackwedge »

Hi Chopperoli

checked the ht leads order, all good, I think maybe somehow the timing has skipped on the cam belt. maybe I need to fit a dedicated piper cam vernier pulley as the stock one will always be out, just thought that now, maybe stock pulley will not work.

thanks for the suggestion, its got me thinking.

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

Have you tried tdc-1 so 1 tooth behind tdc, turn it with a socket before cranking to be sure it doesnt foul