Engine timing scirocco mk2

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc

Moderator: Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Chumpanzie
fill in the right answer: 15

Engine timing scirocco mk2

Post by Chumpanzie » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:09 pm

Hi Guys , I’m desperate for some information. I run a 1989 scirocco my 2 gt. this is 8 valve, single carb, 1800cc. Just replaced head gasket and cannot get the timing right. Does anyone know which marks to go off. Haynes manual isn’t helping and the engine could be from a golf? The only number I can find on the engine is 02610337. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Engine timing scirocco mk2

Post by james butler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:02 pm

you should have lined everything up before you took it apart.
to line the crank up have a look thorugh the bell housing hole ( you need to remove the green plug) and rotate the crank till you see the o stamp in the flywheel.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mk2+f ... WWO-2kCTHM:

problem you have is if you turn the crank you will hit a valve so your going to have to be super carefull or remove the camshaft first.
to time the camshaft theres a dimple on the inside of the cam sprocket that lines up with the front of the head
https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isc ... 3tQiB4bi1M:

then you need to line up the intermediate sprocket with the crank sprocket its hard to see in the link but its there
https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isc ... CGXiCtRtlM:
once lined up the rotor in the dizzy should be roughly lined up with a notch in the dizzy body so you know your in the right place.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isc ... LHcWJRKn1M:

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!

james butler

Post by james butler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:06 pm

whack the belt on and rotate BY HAND and check everything lines back up again.
if it doesn't somethings gone wrong and possibly slipped a tooth redo the timing and do the test again.
slightly out is ok but a tooth out needs to be redone.
if the engine locks up do not force it as somethings gone wrong and will cause damage.

after you have got it setup it should run but you will need to check the ignition timing with a timing gun to make sure that hasnt moved.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Can you see the pictures in this thread?

I’ve posted up where the cam shaft timing marks as the one in the link seems to line up with the cam cover not the top of the head?

https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index.ph ... s-mk1-golf

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323

Gilb666

Post by Gilb666 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 pm

I used this video while trying to make sure my timing was about right. It's not completely in focus, but coupled with the Haynes it should be enough for you to find all the timing marks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV8sCkQeO1k&t=228s
james butler wrote:problem you have is if you turn the crank you will hit a valve so your going to have to be super carefull or remove the camshaft first.
This may well be rubbish, but i was told 8v's were non-interference, so shouldn't be able to contact?

james butler

Post by james butler » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:45 pm

Gilb666 wrote:
james butler wrote:problem you have is if you turn the crank you will hit a valve so your going to have to be super carefull or remove the camshaft first.
This may well be rubbish, but i was told 8v's were non-interference, so shouldn't be able to contact?
thats if you havent had the head skimmed "apparently"
i still wouldnt take the risk it aint worth it

Chumpanzie

Post by Chumpanzie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:31 am

Thanks so much for the quick informative responses guys. Il post with news next week!

Chumpanzie

Post by Chumpanzie » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:33 am

I can see the images in the thread also, thanks guys!

Chumpanzie

Post by Chumpanzie » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Thanks for all the help guys. The news so far is that the car is back together but not pulling any fuel through.
Fitted new fuel pump and still nothing. Fuel system was fine before changing head gasket etc and I just can’t figure out what’s happening. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:38 pm

What happens if you remove the fuel pipe from the fuel pump outlet and crank the engine? Does petrol spray out? (Be carful with petrol )

Is fuel getting to the carb?

Membership No. 323

Chumpanzie

Post by Chumpanzie » Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:40 pm

No fuel coming through and not getting to the carb. Just can’t figure out what’s changed?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Blocked fuel pick up in the tank?

Blow down the fuel pipe going into the tank and listen for bubbles.
If no better pull the fuel sender out.

Membership No. 323

Chumpanzie

Post by Chumpanzie » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:43 pm

Ok guys so here is the latest. Tried new and old fuel pump, fitted correctly and contacting cam. I can here it trying but still no fuel pressure. Tried bypassing petrol tank by using jerrycan still nothing. Madly frustrating, just can’t figure this out.

Almost at the point of giving up and going for another engine, ridiculous really has to be something daft.

Help!

mr.brown

Post by mr.brown » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:09 pm

I just had the exact same problem with the exact same engine (1.8 EX) - no fuel even with a brand new fuel pump. I attached a hand siphon/pump to the fuel feed from the tank and was getting fuel but it there was none coming from the pump when the engine was running. So I attached the siphon to the outlet of the "vapour separator" to the carb and sucked fuel all the way through. It worked after that.

I can only assume some sort of vacuum/air lock was preventing fuel getting to the carb.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:13 pm

With the fuel pump off the car what happens if you stick the inlet of the fuel pump into a little petrol and pump the fuel pump arm by hand, does the petrol spray out of the outlet?

I guess it’s something simple which has been missed as it was all working before head gasket change, where about in the country are you?
Some one might be near to you that can have a look over the engine/fuel set up?

Membership No. 323