KR Engine conversion

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Chris M GT
fill in the right answer: 15

KR Engine conversion

Post by Chris M GT »

I am exploring the idea of converting my scirocco to run a KR engine. I know it isn't the most powerful of all the conversions etc but I just want a little bit more grunt whilst retaining an original clean looking bay.

Has anyone any experience of swapping one into a Scirocco? I have a 1.6 GT and I've read the KR bolts straight onto the same mounts is this correct?

Finally I want to do something really different and retain my original auto box... I've seen people convert auto cars using the 020 and 02a manual boxes, does this mean they are a direct replacement and my auto box would bolt to a kr?

Thanks in advance.

mr.brown
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: KR Engine conversion

Post by mr.brown »

Your auto box will physically bolt to any 1.6/1.8/2.0 engine of that era (probably even a modern 1.8T lol) but your problem is going to be the fuelling system. There's a reason why VW never offered a RHD fuel injected automatic Scirocco (or mk1/2 Golf/Jetta for that matter).

I can't remember if the 1.6GT head bolts on to a 1.8/2.0 block but that would be the easiest solution and then fit a Weber carb jetted to suit.

duggers
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by duggers »

Google it (Golf Mk1 engine conversions) and you'll find loads of links. Not sure the slushbox will work with KR (or WHY) but probably do-able.

Apparently the dreadful paint on my Rocco is PATINA....
Membership # 432
whiteshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by whiteshark »

The KR engine is great fun and plenty of torque. Kicks in at two and a half thousand revs until red. An auto box loves smooth revs and a Kr engine is like having a kick down system which the auto box is not designed for. You could try it but I reckon your auto box would be short lived. I bought my car with a KR fitted but I have had it out and in several times. Poly bush the engine mounts, fit a four branch. An 8 v gearbox fits but an auto, good luck. KR drops straight in, getting a wiring loom can be difficult.