9mm Bush (Plastic Surrounded) - Where from?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
craigwalton
fill in the right answer: 15

9mm Bush (Plastic Surrounded) - Where from?

Post by craigwalton »

Finished changing the timing belt and intermediate shaft oil seal yesterday and found this lying on the ground during the job:
9mm ID / 14mm OD metal bush surrounded by plastic with 4 snapped black tabs coming off of it

Looks sort of like on of the bushes in the lower timing belt plastic guard, but there were 4 intact on the guard which I believe is the correct number. Any ideas what it's off?

Secondly, the Elring shaft oil seal seal (068103085E) which I purchased from "doctorcarparts" looked like it had defects which I only realised once I'd damaged the old seal by removing it. Looks like the inner face is meant to be fully coated in rubber but only around a 1/3 of it is. The outside is fine. Is this likely to be a problem on the intermediate shaft (timing end)?

Blueshark
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: 9mm Bush (Plastic Surrounded) - Where from?

Post by Blueshark »

If none are missin no problem I would say, matbe from a previous cover.

Rubber is never fully on because they are dpped in a primer bath for the rubber to attach on, the inside is no problem missing some.

Joost

craigwalton
fill in the right answer: 15

Re: 9mm Bush (Plastic Surrounded) - Where from?

Post by craigwalton »

Thanks Joost, could be I guess. Looks like it could be from the area in the top right of this picture:

I assumed it was just the external faces that did the sealing but wasn't sure if it was common for green/yellow textured internal material to be exposed since it wasn't on the one I took out. Glad to know it'll be fine.