Cambelt Change

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
liam_0404
fill in the right answer: 15

Cambelt Change

Post by liam_0404 »

Hi all,

Attempted the cambelt change the weekend but got stuck (and I was too hot) so left it.

Basically which pulleys do I need to take off to get the lower cambelt cover off? I've taken the 4 allen bolts out of the lower pulley (the one that drives the water pump and alternator) and should this now just now come off, or do I need to take the large nut off the centre? Same for the water pump pulley?

Liam.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'02 Grand Cherokee Limited 4.0 I6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
big_wig_074

Re: Cambelt Change

Post by big_wig_074 »

4 bolts only to remove, they can be onthere tight though so "massage" it off with a mallet etc...

liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

Cheers, any tips for holding the water pump pulley still? As those 3 bolts are on there tight and I can't get the purchase with it moving round all of time.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

Loosen the water pump pulley with the alternator belt still on, it'll help a lot, spray the bolts with some penetrating fluid (I make a 50/50 mix of ATF and acetone which works great) Never had many issues with them not coming off, but as you'd usually change the water pump when you do the cam belt you can always take this off completely and hold it still from the impeller.

Impact drill will help too, I have a Milwaukee m12 3/8 impact ratchet which is great for stuff like this.

Failing all of that you can drill the bolts out and by some new ones, 15mm m10 (1.25 pitch) will do this. I had to buy 100 though so can always post a few.

- David
mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

You don't need to change the water pump with a cambelt, newer cars it's advisable as the water pump is driven by the cam belt and is hidden behind the all the covers so while every thing is apart you may as well change it as well. The scirocco the water pump is on the front of the engine and is run from a different belt so not point in changing it if it's ok.

I also leave the alternator belt on and engine in gear to undo the water pump pulls bolts, you can see the ends of the bolts on the back of pulley to spray some Plusgas on them to help free them up.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

mark1gls wrote:You don't need to change the water pump with a cambelt, newer cars it's advisable as the water pump is driven by the cam belt and is hidden behind the all the covers so while every thing is apart you may as well change it as well. The scirocco the water pump is on the front of the engine and is run from a different belt so not point in changing it if it's ok.

I also leave the alternator belt on and engine in gear to undo the water pump pulls bolts, you can see the ends of the bolts on the back of pulley to spray some Plusgas on them to help free them up.
Okay thanks, I'll give them a good coating with some plusgas or similar overnight and try it with the belt back on and in gear. It's all a learning curve!

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

If they are still not shifting then you need to hold the pulley some how, have you got some big pliers?

This type may help but not sure if there's any thing to grip?
I use this sort of thing with the spring clips used on coolant hoses so I maybe able to see if they can grip something on my pulley but won't be till later today.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/waterpump-pli ... m-10/54058

Membership No. 323
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

mark1gls wrote:If they are still not shifting then you need to hold the pulley some how, have you got some big pliers?

This type may help but not sure if there's any thing to grip?
I use this sort of thing with the spring clips used on coolant hoses so I maybe able to see if they can grip something on my pulley but won't be till later today.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/waterpump-pli ... m-10/54058
Yes, I have, great shout. Recently used them to rip my oil filter off so I'll have another use for them! If I get the belt on and get someone to grip the wheel with these surely that should get them off!

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Watch you knuckles as I found when they come lose they usually spin around easy and you bang your hand against something!

A smear of copper grease on the bolts when you put them back in will help next time you need to remove them.

Membership No. 323
Dave185

Post by Dave185 »

I remember this being a pig of a job when I did it on my scirocco a few months ago.

An impact tool didn't even touch them, it's as if they were welded in place!

I ended up removing the pump, gripping the pulley in a vice with soft jaws (without deforming/damaging it) and drilling the old bolt heads off to remove this pulley for the new pump.

As mentioned previously, new bolts and copper slip always recommended.

Best of luck, I'm sure you'll manage it.

VW Golf mk1 Clipper Cabby 1.8 - 1988 (now sold)
VW Corado G60 -1992 (now sold)
VW Karmann Ghia - 1969 (now sold)
VW Golf VR6 - 1996
VW Golf Mk2 Type19 - 1984
VW Scirocco Mk2 GT 1.6 - 1989
farley381

Post by farley381 »

In the past I've done it by getting the fan belt as tight as possible, then jamming a big hunk of rag between the pulley & the fanbelt. As you try the bolt, the pulley turns slightly, trapping the rag in tighter, which if you're lucky, will jam the pulley solid & then the bolt will move. If you can get one out, then get a long bolt (same thread obviously) & put it in from the other side of the pump. This will then jam against the pump body as the pulley tries to turn.

Having said all that,the last time I did it, on my present Rocco, found that a previous owner had rounded one of the hex bolts. So I just undid the three(?) big bolts that hold the pump body to the block! OK you have to drain the cooling system, but it did the trick. It is sealed with an o-ring, so went back together OK.

Good luck

1987 GTX (Flash Silver)
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

i've used a cheap oil filter removal chain wrapped around the pulley to hold it. now i use the impact gun!

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

make sure you clean the bolts out with a small screwdriver and buy a decent set of hex sockets. hammer it in. if you don't i bet you round them! then get your best pair of mole grips out....

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

also i am sure the lowest pulley has threaded holes so you can do the bolt into those and it pushes the pulley off. i may be wrong though

My build thread:
liam_0404

Post by liam_0404 »

Done! Sorted it the weekend, just used the tension from the belt and a set of large grips. Was okay when I jacked the car up and took the wheel off. Not as daunting as I thought, as with anything it's easy when you've done it once.

'88 Scirocco 1.6 8v GT
‘94 Golf 2.8 12v VR6
'07 Golf GTI 2.0T