Coolant leak.

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Coolant leak.

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

I am losing coolant somewhere at the back of the engine block but struggling to see where its coming from. Any ideas? Please see photo.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

james butler
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: Coolant leak.

Post by james butler »

judging by where its all wet it could be head gasket or core plug/block related issue.
alternatively it could be leaking elsewhere and just be sprayed or blown over the back there by wind as your driving so check around the water pump and pipe work in that area.
if its carbed car then could be manifold leaking but that would show up closer to the gearbox side.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Problem has worsened and now showing classic signs of head gasket problems. I have had Sciroccos for more than 20 years and have done a lot of repairs but never done a head gasket. How difficult a job is it? Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

james butler

Post by james butler »

easy peasey compared to modern stuff.
take your time removing the head bolts and make sure you get the cylinder head pressure tested before putting it all back together.
better to find out it needs a skim when its off rather than after you put it back together.
basically remove everything off the cylinder head except for the rocker cover and whats inside.
this will include the alternator, timing belt, all the timing chest, the dizzy leads and plugs, inlet manifold and exhaust manifold (can be left on put makes the head much heavier to lift out.), all water connections, any cable connections like the oil pressure sensor wire, theres a few bolts that secure the timing cover backplate to the head and to the block 10mm i think thats kind of hidden, lastly remove the rocker cover and remove the cylinder head bolts.
make sure you buy a head gasket kit and expect to have to buy the new head bolts separately.
its a fairly easy job so dont worry too much were all here to offer help and guidance along the way :good:

james butler

Post by james butler »

check out my thread from years ago, mines a carb car but i cant see yours being that much different
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5195&p=36165#p36165

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thank you James, that's really helpful.

I have heard lots about the exhaust spring clips. I plan to buy the required tool but would you recommend fitting new clips? They don't seem to be available. Thanks

scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

old clips should be fine sean. if you need a hand , gimme a bell

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
scrappy1382

Post by scrappy1382 »

i also have the tool needed for those pesky clips too . just need to collect from gareth g smith

Scirocco Shane
84 cosmos blue storm - mafia car choice 2015 rip :-(
84 Havanna Brown Storm - 8-)
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Thanks for all the responses. Getting gasket and bolts this week and plan to do the job next weekend. Need to invest in a torque wrench.

GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Also, am I right in saying I need m12 spline key?or is it Ribe? My spline bits are not the long type, are the longer ones required?
Thanks

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I just use a small extension bar to lift the torque wrench above the cam shaft when undoing the head bolts.

I would fit new C clamps for the down pipe if you can as they can stretch.

https://www.gsfcarparts.com/280vg0080

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-MK1-C ... xyA7tSZnGi

Euro car parts seems the cheapest place, £3.19 for 2 with discount code and free delivery, silly not to fit new ones at that price?
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... ea1&000463

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Cheers Mark

Final question. Do the new gasket and bolts need to be original vw parts or would gsf or euro car parts be OK?

Thanks

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Euro car parts is what I used, my engine been OK in the last 12 months,10,000 miles since I changed my engine and and fitted new gaskets in the Golf.

Use HOLIDAY57 code for discount, depends on what you remove from the head if you need to buy a full gasket kit set, link to just head gasket.

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volks ... 984&000173

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

Cheers Mark

unknownmale

Post by unknownmale »

I used an exhaust clamp to remove those c clamps.

In my opinion the most annoying part of doing the head gasket is getting those clamps off, Oh and delicately placing the head onto the block when it weighs a ton. Could do with dowel pins really.

- David