Oil light flashing. Pump issue?

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
00mike00
fill in the right answer: 15

Oil light flashing. Pump issue?

Post by 00mike00 »

I’ve been having a right nightmare with the Scirocco of late, a real shame because it seems to be a good car all round.
I changed the fuel filler neck at the weekend but when I went to Halfords to pick up some blue roll and some other bits, I came out to see the coolant hose had sprung a leak! I duct taped the pipe and managed to get home.

Thankfully someone on the forum kindly linked me to a German parts shop and I am sorted now.
I have Successfully changed the thermostat, pipe and refilled coolant system. I ran the car up yesterday to find the oil light is flashing. I do recall, coming back from Halfords after the coolant hose split, the oil light was flashing, it’s only a five minute drive but I did drive the car gently.

A quick check online shows that this may be due to the oil pump being gummed up…if this is the case, what do I need to do guys? I’m running out of money and time, I’ve been borrowing a car for a few days but I have to give it back tonight.

Thanks

unknownmale

Re: Oil light flashing. Pump issue?

Post by unknownmale »

Are you getting a buzzing noise also?

Have you got an oil pressure gauge to hand? The light can be triggered by low or high pressure, it's fairly common for the blue (I believe thats the low pressure switch) to fail, i've have a couple of these leak and cause the buzzing.

Does the warning start/ or go out at a set RPM, or the second you start the car?

I think the most common issue is a faulty switch, but failing that it can also be the pump. The pump is not too difficult to replace, just drain the oil, remove the sump, remove the old oil pump (Two bolts), switch over the plastic baffle to the new pump (Careful not to break this as it's brittle) prime the new pump (Really important), refit with new sump gasket, fill oil.

But check the switches first for signs of a leak, you have one on the side of the head and one at the front of the block, blue top and white.

Hope that helps.

- David
00mike00

Post by 00mike00 »

unknownmale wrote:Are you getting a buzzing noise also?

Have you got an oil pressure gauge to hand? The light can be triggered by low or high pressure, it's fairly common for the blue (I believe thats the low pressure switch) to fail, i've have a couple of these leak and cause the buzzing.
Sadly no, I don't have a pressure gauge. No buzzing but the light comes on as soon as the ignition is switched on I think. Before you turn the key.
unknownmale wrote:I think the most common issue is a faulty switch, but failing that it can also be the pump. The pump is not too difficult to replace, just drain the oil, remove the sump, remove the old oil pump (Two bolts), switch over the plastic baffle to the new pump (Careful not to break this as it's brittle) prime the new pump (Really important), refit with new sump gasket, fill oil..
How do I check to see if the switch is still ok?
Thanks for the info about changing the pump. Can it not be cleaned up??

mark1gls
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by mark1gls »

Check the blue/brown oil pressure sensor on the side of the head and check the spade connector is still attached to the wire and not hanging on by a couple of threads of wire. If the wire is ok get a new sensor.

I think if there was a problem with the oil pump you get a buzzer sounding if you rev the car above 2000 rpm.

This should fit and it's genuine VW.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Ca ... SwopRYgOan

Or this one.
https://www.vwheritage.com/028919081d-o ... wn-golf-t4

I guess your sensor does look like the ones in the links?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
00mike00

Post by 00mike00 »

mark1gls wrote:Check the blue/brown oil pressure sensor on the side of the head and check the spade connector is still attached to the wire and not hanging on by a couple of threads of wire. If the wire is ok get a new sensor.

I think if there was a problem with the oil pump you get a buzzer sounding if you rev the car above 2000 rpm.

This should fit and it's genuine VW.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-VW-Ca ... SwopRYgOan

Or this one.
https://www.vwheritage.com/028919081d-o ... wn-golf-t4

I guess your sensor does look like the ones in the links?
Ok Mark, thanks for the links.
Is it just a case of unscrewing the old and in with the new?

Cheers

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Yes unscrew old one and screw the new one in, there should be a new washer with the new sensor.

Membership No. 323
james butler

Post by james butler »

00mike00 wrote:
No buzzing but the light comes on as soon as the ignition is switched on I think. Before you turn the key.
the light coming on before you start he car is normal
if the light doesn't go out after you have started it you have an issue.
i would get the pressure checked as your first port of call, this will put you in a better position as to what you need to do.
no point changing sensors if you don't need to and vice versa the oil pump.
i have had a faulty pressure switch in the past but I've also had genuine low oil pressure issues and the symptoms for both are very similar.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
00mike00

Post by 00mike00 »

I noticed as soon as I lifted the bonnet that a pipe was still disconnected from when I was doing the jobs the other day.
Once I reconnected that and cleaned up connections on the switches, I have no warning lights now.

I ran the car to work this morning and it might be nothing but the temp gauge seems a little higher now than before the coolant change.
I’m running the red stuff, recommended by the guys at GSF and think I have the levels right in the system.
My digital read out was showing 96 degrees at standstill when I got to work, it raised fairly quickly from about 92. Anything to be concerned about?

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Normal for coolant temp to be a bit lower after a good flush and new coolant so don't worry about it. Check to coolant level again just to be sure.
Normal oil temps as well, just start to worry is oil temp get towards 130 degrees. :-)

Membership No. 323
00mike00

Post by 00mike00 »

mark1gls wrote:Normal for coolant temp to be a bit lower after a good flush and new coolant so don't worry about it. Check to coolant level again just to be sure.
Normal oil temps as well, just start to worry is oil temp get towards 130 degrees. :-)
Thanks Mark, and sorry for not being clear. Before the coolant flush it would take the car longer to climb to 100 degrees I think. Since the change, the needle climbs at a faster rate and will certainly pass the 100 mark sat in traffic.
I was a little concerned as I chanted the thermostat to and with new coolant I expected it to be lower generally.

mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

Just to check... the MFA shows oil temperature and the dash needle shows coolant temperature, when you say "the needle climbs at a faster rate and pass the 100 mark" is that coolant temperature (needle gauge) or MFA oil temperature?

The coolant also runs around just above the oil filter and will heat up the oil quicker as coolant heats up quicker than the oil and the coolant will cool the oil when it gets hot as coolant is cooled by the radiator and fan.

Check the bottom radiator hose is the last to heat up and check it does heat up as if the thermostat is not working it won't let coolant through to the radiator. They can be faulty out of the box.
The outside weather is now getting warmer so that will speed up heating as well. Old oil also runs hotter than new oil.

Coolant temperature gauge normally sits around 1/2 way near the LED when moving and goes to 3/4 when stopped then fan should kit in and bring it back to 1/2 way?

Membership No. 323
00mike00

Post by 00mike00 »

mark1gls wrote:Just to check... the MFA shows oil temperature and the dash needle shows coolant temperature, when you say "the needle climbs at a faster rate and pass the 100 mark" is that coolant temperature (needle gauge) or MFA oil temperature?
I’m not making this easy for you am I! Hahaha
Ok the needle isn’t going more than three quarters really, I just feel it’s getting there quicker than before…but as you say, it has warmed up.
The MFA, oil temp is showing 100+ at standstill and cools to about 93-94. I guess this means things are running ok.

james butler

Post by james butler »

did you buy ready mixed or concentrate antifreeze?
if you put in the wrong ratio for the time of year it makes a difference on our old moters

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!