New vr6

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
steve bain

New vr6

Post by steve bain »

So I just picked up a vw sharan vr6 with 135k on it for £150. Bargain.

Before I pull the engine, tranny, ecu, harness and scrap what's left should I do anything? I will do a compression test, but anyhthing else?

I drove 50 miles hope and it seems fine. My mate who followed said no smoke etc, and it sounded right. Not as quick as expected but I guess the sharan is a boat.

My build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14083
the edmundator
fill in the right answer: 10

Re: New vr6

Post by the edmundator »

I think these Sharans are a good source for a VR6. Often automatic which means the engine will have an easier life, and available for peanuts. Does the Ford Galaxy also have a VR6? - I suspect it does as I've seen them for sale with the same engine capacity and power.

Register Member 829
--
1980 (1976) Mk1 Junior Cup Replica
1987 MK2 GTX
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

I think the galaxy does yes. The one I have is a manual so I can use the gearbox too.

My build thread:
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

This is either a brilliant idea or a terrible one and I am still undecided.....

My build thread:
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

You've only just got your car back on the road!
So is the next plan take the Scirocco off the road again and cut up the engine bay and weld in a Mk3 Golf front subframe to fit the VR6 onto?

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
steve bain

Post by steve bain »

the worst think about a project is finishing it! i keep going to the garage looking for something to do but there is nothing. i'll buy the kit that uses the original mounts so no chopping up. no different to dropping 1.8t in, east peasy.... i can build the engine over the summer and either sell it as a conversion or drop it in over winter. its a good plan.

My build thread:
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

My wife always finds things for me to do, "paint this, fix this, move this, tidy this etc..." I'm sure she could find something for you to do if you are bored and need another project :-)

I know what you mean about finishing a project, I found that when I finished my Mk1, but owning 2 old VW's there is always something to do even if it's just washing it.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
ThomasD
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by ThomasD »

Which VR6 was in the Sharon? You probably know the older 12 valve VR6s had wear issues with the cam chain guides and tensioners. If it is a 12V engine, it might be worth replacing those items while the engine is out of the car.

Mk2 Scirocco Storm
Mk3 Golf GTI VR6