cost G60 vs 2.016v conversion

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
stuartsports
fill in the right answer: 15

cost G60 vs 2.016v conversion

Post by stuartsports »

hi guys, a quick question, I have a 1988 scala with the standard 1.8 carb and have been reading up on various engine conversions.

From those who have completed a swap to a g60 unit or the 2.0 16v from the mk3 golf gti, what was the approx total cost start to finish.

I can do all the work myself, I can also weld and wire up.

Thanks

mr.brown

Re: cost G60 vs 2.016v conversion

Post by mr.brown »

You can get a whole donor Mk3 for less than the price of a supercharger refurb. No contest.

stu.gtx
fill in the right answer: 10

Post by stu.gtx »

As above. Always better to buy the whole car anyway, then you know if the engine is ok and you have all the bits.
I've had a go of a MK2 Golf with an ABF and that would be my engine of choice for a retro looking transplant. They go really well too. Completely different to the 1.8 16v KR.

whiteshark

Post by whiteshark »

You should be able to pick up a mk3 for very little. My mk3 93 golf 8v 2.0 L still starts first turn of the key and is a great all round car. The KR 16v in my Scirocco is not as smooth and only kicks in at 2500 revs however it's great fun, brilliant off the lights and works a charm for quarter mile due to the throttle range. With the Kr you have the WUR, cold start thermostat switch, idle control module and. ISV to contend with. To get a good KR engine with all the bits and a solid wiring loom these days good luck, unless you buy a car. Mark 3 all the way cheap as chips and you can still easily get spares, not the same for the KR with some parts attracting silly money.

essextom

Post by essextom »

I sold a Mk3 2.0 8v mot'd for £200 a few months back. They rust badly, so there's loads about

monzajake

Post by monzajake »

abf 150 ish bhp
G60 160 ish bhp
Both in standard specs from what i remember. G60 costs loads more in the long run but nice engine. A the howl of a charger is nice.
Personally looked at both routes a few years back. Ended up with abf on k-jet which suits me to a tee and give the retro look for the car. Pulls like a beast as well.

BlackGTX

Post by BlackGTX »

any pics of he abf kjet?