Gaskets

For all Carb and Injection engines, standard or modified plus non-standard engine transplants. Heads; Blocks; Cooling (including heater issues related to the cooling system); Mounts etc
Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
jimmy h
fill in the right answer: 10

Gaskets

Post by jimmy h »

Hello, my Storm is shedding oil like the Exon Valdiz! I replaced the sump gasket with the up rated rubber type 12 months ago, torqued to the right spec etc - still appears to leak. Did the same on the rocker cover gasket - ditto. Should I have used gasket compound - Hylomar etc?

james butler

Re: Gaskets

Post by james butler »

no dont use hylomar it squeezes into the engine and causes real headaches.
if it didn't seal then there`s a good change the rocker cover could be bent, does the cover still have the reinforcing strips front and back? these help prevent the rocker cover distorting when being tightened up.
also check your not leaking oil out of the air box, about where the air filter is, this is where mine was leaking oil as it travels up the breather and condenses in the air filter box and it leaks out of the join.
other places you can be leaking oil is the cam seal and intermediate shaft seal plus the crankshaft oil seal.
all of which arent expensive to replace but are a nuisance to get to as their behind the timing belt.
then the gearbox side of the crankshaft also has an oil seal which can leak but its a night mare to get to as you have to take the gearbox out so do that one last if you have to.

I dont mind project cars but I HATE SANDING!!!
mark1gls

Post by mark1gls »

I found I had to nip the sump bolts up again after fitting my new rubber sump gasket, I guess it flatted a little over time.
Same for the rocker cover.

Mk1 78 Scirocco GLS 1.6 FR, weekend toy.
Mk1 88 Golf GTi cabriolet 1.8 DX. Daily drive.
Membership No. 323
GTXGTXGTX
fill in the right answer: 15

Post by GTXGTXGTX »

When I did my rocker cover gasket someone on here suggested changing the studs for cap head bolts and it worked really well.